My childhood summers are filled with memories of this Blueberry Crumb Cake Recipe. We had a good family friend that generously opened her summer house to us each year and we would all barrel in with great enthusiasm each summer!
This is a wonderful crumb cake recipe for Mother’s Day this weekend or really any spring time occasion!
WATCH A PREVIEW OF THIS BLUEBERRY CRUMB CAKE RECIPE BELOW!
(Full video demo is in recipe card)
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more recipe videos!
I think back to that now, wondering how this lovely woman who lived alone for most of the year, in a charming antique-filled dollhouse of a home, could muster up the strength to welcome, with open arms, a family of five, with 3 very active kids in tow! Did I mention this lady was special?
Then I remember the lake that was situated just across the street from her house. My siblings and I would spring from our beds, inner tube in tow, and run down to the lake and jump in the frigid temperatures (oh the reckless abandon of youth!).
We’d then come back to the house, soaking wet and be greeted with this delicious blueberry crumb cake for breakfast. This cake was devoured by my siblings and I in minutes and to this day it remains a beloved part of our childhood.
How-To Make a Crumb Topping
I find the easiest way to make a crumb topping is to combine the dry ingredients, flour, sugar and cinnamon (recipe below) whisk together and then add the butter, mixing with your hands until a coarse crumb forms.
I like to bake this cake in a 10″ x 10″ removable bottom cheesecake pan, because it makes it really easy to release once the cake is baked (this link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner).
Then just cut your crumb cake into nine squares and serve! This cake is best enjoyed slightly warm.
I love to serve this cake for brunches, it’s always the first thing to go. Or it also makes a great addition to an afternoon tea, baby shower or bridal shower.
You can also make this blueberry crumb cake recipe ahead of time and reheat to serve. It also freezes well too! What’s not to love?! Ha!
MAKE IT A MEAL!
These items would pair beautifully with these other recipes.
MAIN ENTREE IDEA:
A wonderful egg dish to go with this crumb cake is my Herby, Cheesy Egg Bake
SIDE DISH IDEA:
Serve these smashed potatoes alongside of the egg bake. A winning combo!
SHOP THIS EPISODE:
These links go to Amazon where I am compensated on products sold at no cost to the consumer.
Please let me know if you make this Blueberry Crumb Cake Recipe by leaving a rating and review below!
For the Cake:
- ½ cup (120g) of butter
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 2 cups (240g) of flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) salt
- ½ cup (120 ml) milk
- 2 cups (300g) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (200g) of sugar
- ½ cup (120g) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- ½ cup (120g) butter
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- Spray a square 10” x 10” (25cm x 25cm) pan with baking spray. Set aside
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy, add eggs one at a time and beat well until light and fluffy, add vanilla. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt whisk together. Add flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk until a batter forms. Remove bowl from the mixer.
- Fold in blueberries. Transfer batter to pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the topping. Add the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Cut in butter with hands until small crumbs form. Sprinkle topping on top of batter until a layer is formed and batter is fully covered.
- Bake 40-45 mins until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely. Run sharp knife along perimeter of cake to loosen before removing it. Cut into 9 squares and serve!
This cake really works well in a removal bottom brownie pan. This will allow the sticky cake to be removed easily and cut into squares. You can find one here. (this link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
You can use frozen berries for this recipe just be sure you don't over mix the batter or your cake will turn blue!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 43mg Sodium: 21mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 4g