I have a love for all citrus, but the blood orange has a special place in my heart. It’s hands down my favorite. There’s something so alluring and mysterious about this spectacular fruit.
One of my favorite ways to pay homage to these delectable oranges is to use them in a pound cake. It’s one of the most delicious pound cake recipes, moist and light and SO delicious!
WATCH MY VIDEO DEMO OF THIS RECIPE BELOW!
You’ll need four blood oranges for this recipe. We’ll use 2 for the zest inside the cake, and their juice, and 2 for the candied orange garnish on top.
The best part about this cake is its texture. It’s so light and moist and flavored with just the right amount of zest. It’s great served with some homemade whipped cream as well.
I love to garnish mine with some citrus blossoms from my blood orange trees, but if you don’t have access to citrus trees fresh mint is another great alternative.
MORE CAKE RECIPES HERE!
- Blueberry Lemon Bundt Cake
- Pistachio Olive Oil Cake
- Blueberry Crumb Cake
- Blueberry Almond Tea Cake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a rating and review below!Print
A delicious blood orange pound cake recipe that is light, moist and delicious!
- 1 cup butter, (240g) room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup (250g) sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla
- 2 tsp (10 ml) orange zest (from 2 blood oranges)
- 1 ½ cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) of sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt
- Candied Orange Garnish:
- 2 blood oranges
- ¾ cup (150 g) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- For Glaze:
- 1 cup (100g) powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp (45ml) blood orange juice
- For Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups (480ml) heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp (13g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Butter and flour a 9” x 5” (23cm x 13cm) loaf pan and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating in between each addition. Add vanilla and orange zest beat to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, in thirds, alternating with the sour cream, until both are incorporated.
- Transfer batter to the loaf pan, smooth out top and bake for 45-50 mins until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely before releasing it from the pan. Place cake on a cooling rack, fitted into a sheet pan, to catch the glaze when cake is frosted.
- For candied oranges:
- Slice 2 oranges into 12 orange wheels (1/4” thick) each orange should give you 6 wheels.
- In a large sauté pan combine sugar and water, simmer mixture until translucent and bubbling. Add oranges in a single layer. Simmer oranges for 3-4 mins each side and then transfer to a cooling rack (with a rimmed sheet pan underneath) to catch the drippings.
- For glaze:
- Squeeze the oranges that were striped of the zest for the cake, into 3 tablespoons of juice.
- In a small bowl add powder sugar through a fine sieve to remove clumps. Then and juice, whisk until smooth.
- Spoon glaze over the top of cake, allowing it to drip over the sides of the cake. Garnish with 2 rows of candied oranges, overlapping slightly to create a decorative design (alternate colors too, lighter with darker etc)
- Place cake on a platter, garnish either side with fresh mint or orange blossom if you have them, and slice into thick slices. Serve with homemade whipped cream. Enjoy!
- For whipped cream, place everything in an electric mixer and whip on high until soft peaks form.
When baking if top is beginning to brown too quickly, cover with a sheet of foil on top until fully baked through.
When selecting oranges the ones that are darker on the outside will have more purple in them on the inside.
Whipped cream can be made a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Blood Orange Pound Cake Recipe, Pound Cake Recipe, Blood Orange Recipe