Easter is the perfect time to whip up a Carrot Cake and for me the more “loaded the better”. This recipe is packed with fruits and nuts and a little sprinkle of coconut. It also has a wonderful balance of spice coming from the addition of Pumpkin Pie Spice.
It’s a rustic cake that doesn’t need to look perfect (mainly because it takes SO good!) but also because no one is expecting a frilly, 7-layer master piece when they think of carrot cake. It should be easy to assemble, homey and comforting. My kind of cake!
For a step-by-step tutorial of this cake you can watch my YouTube video below. SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL (it’s free!) and never miss a recipe. Enjoy! xx
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup (300 g) sugar
- 1 cup (150g) crushed pineapple, drained
- ¾ cup (180 ml) water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- 4 ¼ cups (510g) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 3 tsp (15 ml) pumpkin pie spice or 2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon and 1 tsp (5 ml) nutmeg
- 2 cups (300 g) grated carrots
- 1 cup (150 g) raisins
- ¼ cup (40g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup (30g) pecans, chopped
- 16 oz (460g) whipped cream cheese
- 2/3 cup (70g) powdered sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (175C).
- In a large bowl add eggs, vegetable oil, sugar and whisk to combine. Then add pineapple, water and vanilla, whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and spice, whisk to combine. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, in thirds, whisking until combined.
- Add carrots and raisins, stir until combined.
- Pour batter equally into two 9” (23cm) cake pans that have been greased and floured.
- Bake 25 mins until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combined room temperature cream cheese with powdered sugar, beat until smooth. Add heavy cream and vanilla and beat on high for 5-7 mins until smooth volume has increased by one third.
- Place 1 cake layer on a cake stand flat side up, frost top of cake only. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of coconut on top, and 2 tbsp of chopped pecans. Add second cake layer and repeat with remaining coconut and pecans.
- Keep cake refrigerated uncovered, for at least 1-2 hours to “set up”
- Slice and serve!