If you're looking for a fantastic Sunday night dinner recipe, look no further! You'll find my Eggplant Lasagna Recipe is essentially a vegetarian Lasagna, but without the noodles (great for all those who are cutting down on the carbs or are gluten-free).
It only takes 3 eggplants so it's pretty economical too! You can prep the eggplant in the morning and then assemble the lasagna, bake and serve once it's time for dinner.
Watch How to Make My Eggplant Lasagna Below!
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR MORE RECIPE VIDEOS! (IT’S FREE!)
Step 1: Prepare the eggplant
How do you cut eggplant for eggplant lasagna?
First, make sure your eggplant has been rinsed and is completely dry, otherwise, it will steam up in the oven and become too mushy instead of roasted. Then cut the eggplant into ¼" pieces this is the perfect thickness for eggplant lasagna with three layers.
You also want to slice them thin enough so they become soft and pliable in the oven, this will make the eggplant easier to eat once assembled in the eggplant lasagna.
Then you'll drizzle both sides of the eggplant with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bake the eggplant at 375F (190C) degrees for 7 minutes on each side and allow it to cool. It's perfectly fine to do this part in stages as you may not be able to fit all the eggplant in your oven at once!
After the eggplant has baked, remove them from the oven and allow to cool. Then, you can prepare your sauce.
Step 2: Prepare the Sauce
In a large saucepan, you'll add the tomato sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste and red pepper flakes.
If you don't like things too spicy, feel free to leave this out. Allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce sweetens up and reduces a bit.
Tip: You can double the recipe for the sauce and freeze the second batch. Then you'll also have pasta sauce ready to go!
Step 3: Make the Ricotta Cheese Filling
To prepare the cheese mixture, add ricotta cheese, eggs, and freshly chopped basil to a medium mixing bowl. The egg will help the ricotta cheese set up while it bakes and prevents your filling from becoming too runny. If you have any ricotta cheese leftover, save it to make my Lemon Ricotta Pancakes the next day! The ricotta cheese makes them so light and fluffy!
TIP: If you want to omit the egg then allow the ricotta cheese to drain over cheesecloth into a bowl or a fine-mesh strainer. This will remove the majority of the liquid and help prevent a runny filling as well.
Step 4: Assemble the Eggplant Lasagna
In a large heat-safe casserole, place a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the dish, and distribute evenly. This will prevent the eggplant from sticking.
Then, add a layer of eggplant to the bottom and then spread a few dollops of the ricotta cheese mixture on top.
Then, sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese on top and drizzle with the red sauce.
Repeat this process of sauce, eggplant, ricotta, mozzarella, creating 3 layers of “Lasagna” in total. The top layer should end with a layer of sauce and some more mozzarella cheese.
How many layers should a lasagna have?
Typically, a lasagna has three or more layers to it and eggplant lasagna should follow the same rule of thumb.
There's a funny quote from the senior food editor of Bon Appetit. Chris Morocco says, "If there are less than three layers, it's probably not a lasagna. There's no need to go crazy—aim for somewhere between three and 1,000—but one thing's for sure: You need to use a pan that's big enough to hold all of that gooey goodness in." I couldn't agree more!
Bake at 375F (190C) degrees for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted on top and casserole is cooked through. It's important the lasagna is cooked thoroughly inside since we added the eggs to the ricotta mixture.
Garnish with some finely chopped basil. Serve with a salad and some garlic bread! (recipes below) Enjoy!
MORE GREAT SUNDAY NIGHT DINNER IDEAS!
- Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Baby Broccoli
- Sausage and Pepper Recipe
- Veggie Lasagna Roll Ups
- Crepe-Style Manicotti
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE
BY LEAVING A RATING AND REVIEW BELOW!
- 3 Eggplants
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 15 oz cans pure tomato sauce (890 ml)
- 2 garlic gloves
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups (475 ml) whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (120 ml) freshly chopped basil (separated)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C
- Cut eggplant into ¼” (6mm)slices. Place on parchment lined baking sheets. Drizzle both sides with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake eggplant for 7 mins each side and allow to cool (totally fine to do this part in stages as you may not be able to fit all the eggplant in your oven at once!)
- Allow eggplant to cool. Meanwhile prepare your sauce.
- In a large sauce pan, add the tomato sauce, garlic, salt and pepper to taste and red pepper flakes. Allow to simmer for 10 mins until sauce sweetens up and reduces a bit.
- Then prepare the ricotta mixture. In a medium bowl add ricotta cheese, eggs and basil.
- Then assemble your lasagna. In a large heat safe casserole pan, place a thin layer of sauce on the bottom and distribute evenly. On top place a single layer of eggplant on top of the eggplant spread ⅔ cup (160 ml) of the ricotta cheese mixture and sprinkle ¼ cup (60 ml) of shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Then add another single layer of eggplant and repeat the process creating 3 layers of “Lasagna” in total. The top layer should end with a layer of sauce and some more mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375F/190C for 20-25 mins until cheese is melted on top and casserole is cooked through.
- Garnish with some finely minced basil on top. Serve with a salad and some garlic bread! (recipes below in notes. Enjoy!
BETH'S EASY GARLIC BREAD
5 tbsp (75 ml) butter
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh Italian parsley, minced.
Place butter, garlic, salt, pepper in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. The heat from the butter will warm the garlic and release its flavor. Add in the fresh parsley stir to combine.
Slice baguette in half, horizontally. Brush the insides with butter. Wrap in aluminum foil and place in the oven at 375F/190C with the lasagna that way it will be ready at the same time! Slice on the diagonal and serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 909mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 9gSugar: 15gProtein: 13g