This easy cashew chicken recipe is a fantastic chicken recipe for those nights when you need something fast! As far as chicken stir fry recipes go, this one is pretty simple.
The flavors all come together in the stir fry sauce which can be made with things you probably already have on hand. And the best part is can enjoy it piping hot, right out of the wok, making it even better than Take-Out!
This is a great weeknight meal when you are stuck in a chicken rut and need something new and different! Kids also go nuts for this one!
Watch my Video Demo of this recipe here
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for Weekly Recipes!
STEP#1: PREP INGREDIENTS
You’ll prep all your ingredients so they are ready to go this is what makes a stir fry recipe go fast, have everything measured out ahead of time! It also makes putting this dinner together quickly, a lot less stressful!
STEP#2: MIX UP THE STIR FRY SAUCE
This stir fry sauce gets its great sweet and salty taste by mixing a combination of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, and garlic. It’s the sweet and salty flavor that kids really love!
And don’t skimp on the garlic! I use the full 3 cloves the recipe calls for, but if you aren’t a big garlic fan, you can get away with one clove, but do add at least one since you’ll get a great depth of flavor from the garlic.
This is a great stir fry sauce that you can use with other stir fry recipes and it close to the sauce in my shrimp stir fry too. Another quick and easy weeknight meal!
STEP#3: BROWN THE CHICKEN
You’ll then brown your chicken on all sides, but don’t worry about cooking it all the way through just yet. You’ll finish cooking it in a later step.
The use of cornstarch to dredge the chicken before cooking protects the meat from drying out. It makes it so moist and juicy! It’s also what contributes to the crunchy exterior too!
STEP#4: ADD THE PEPPERS
Toss in your peppers and cook until warmed through. I don’t overcook the peppers because it’s nice for them to still have their crunch. It also helps to preserve their nutrients too!
STEP#5: ADD THE SAUCE
Pour in your sauce and then stir to coat the chicken and peppers. You see it start to thicken with the heat and become syrupy! This is what you want! Be sure the sauce is also coating the peppers too.
STEP#5 ADD CASHEWS AND SCALLIONS
The last step is to add the cashews and fresh scallions and that’s it! Be sure to use raw, unsalted cashews otherwise your dish will be pretty salty because the stir fry sauce is pretty salty. You can serve with rice or quinoa for a complete meal.
Have leftover cashews? Put them to good use in my Honey Glazed Cashew Recipe!
MORE GREAT CHICKEN RECIPES!
- 1-Pan Chicken and Veggies
- Easy Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- One-Pot Chicken and Potatoes
- Quick and Easy Chicken Picatta
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS RECIPE
PLEASE LEAVE A RATING BELOW
- 2 tbsp (30ml) vegetable oil, separated
- 1 ½ lbs (680g) chicken tenders, cut into bite-sized chunks
- ¼ cup (30g) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup (60ml) hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5ml) rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup (100g) cashews
- 2 scallions (white and green parts) sliced
- Whisk together cornstarch, salt and pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Mix whisk together the ingredients for the sauce. Prep the peppers, and the scallions and measure out the cashews.
- Have all your components ready to go, and then heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan or wok. Cook the chicken in batches (add fresh oil each time) until the chicken is golden brown on both sides and almost cooked through. Transfer to a bowl until all the chicken has been browned.
- Then place the cooked chicken back into the wok, add the peppers and the sauce, continue to cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Toss in cashews and scallions. Stir to combine and warm.
- Transfer to a large serving platter and serve with rice or steamed broccoli drizzled with toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rösle Stainless Steel Mincing Garlic / Ginger Press with Scraper, 9-inch
Duralex - Picardie Clear Bowl 15 cm - 5 7-8 in Set of 6
Wusthof Classic 7-piece Slim Knife Block Set (Acacia)
John Boos Block RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 24 Inches x 18 Inches x 2.25 Inches
Joyce Chen 21-9980, Classic Series Carbon-Steel Nonstick Wok Set, 12-Piece
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 72mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g