This easy cashew chicken recipe is a fantastic recipe for those nights when you need something fast! As far as chicken stir fry recipes go, this one is pretty simple. The flavors all come together in the stir fry sauce which can be made with things you probably already have on hand.
This is a great weeknight dinner idea for when you are stuck in a chicken rut and need something new and different!
Watch How-To Make Cashew Chicken
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for Weekly Recipes (it’s free!)
STEP#1: PREP INGREDIENTS
You’ll prep all your ingredients so they are ready to go this is what makes a stir fry recipe go fast, have everything measured out ahead of time!
STEP#2: MIX UP THE STIR FRY SAUCE
This stir fry sauce gets its great sweet and salty taste by mixing a combination of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, and garlic.
And don’t skimp on the garlic! I use the full 3 cloves the recipe calls for, but if you aren’t a big garlic fan, you can get away with one clove, but do add at least one since you’ll get a great depth of flavor from the garlic.
This is a great stir fry sauce that you can use with other stir fry recipes and it close to the sauce in my shrimp stir fry too. Another great weeknight meal!
STEP#3: BROWN THE CHICKEN
You’ll then brown your chicken on all sides, but don’t worry about cooking it all the way through just yet. You’ll finish cooking it in a later step.
STEP#4: ADD THE PEPPERS
Toss in your peppers and cook until warmed through
STEP#5: ADD THE CASHEW CHICKEN SAUCE
Pour in your sauce and then stir to coat the chicken and peppers
STEP#5 ADD CASHEWS AND SCALLIONS
The last step is to add the cashews and fresh scallions and that’s it! Be sure to use raw, unsalted cashews otherwise your dish will be pretty salty because the stir fry sauce is pretty salty. You can serve with rice or quinoa for a complete meal.
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS CASHEW CHICKEN RECIPE PLEASE LEAVE A RATING BELOW
THIS HELPS OTHERS DISCOVER AND ENJOY THE RECIPE TOO!
- 2 tbsp (30ml) vegetable oil, separated
- 2 ½ lbs (1130g) chicken tenders, cut into bite-sized chunks
- ¼ cup (30g) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup (60ml) hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5ml) rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup (100g) cashews
- 2 scallions (white and green parts) sliced
- Whisk together cornstarch, salt and pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Mix whisk together the ingredients for the sauce. Prep the peppers, and the scallions and measure out the cashews.
- Have all your components ready to go, and then heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan or wok. Cook the chicken in batches (add fresh oil each time) until the chicken is golden brown on both sides and almost cooked through. Transfer to a bowl until all the chicken has been browned.
- Then place the cooked chicken back into the wok, add the peppers and the sauce, continue to cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Toss in cashews and scallions. Stir to combine and warm.
- Transfer to a large serving platter and serve with rice or steamed broccoli drizzled with toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 72mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g