If you’re looking for a great brunch recipe to impress dear ol’ Dad this weekend, this one is it! It’s a great way to use your waffle iron and just a little bit different that the usual French toast or pancakes.
The potato waffles are really easy to do because you can use regular store bought hash brown potatoes. Then just stir up the batter!
Set your waffle iron on a higher setting than you would for regular waffles. On my iron it’s between 5 and 6. They need more heat to cook fully and get crispy. If you are looking to invest in a waffle iron I can’t say enough about my All Clad Waffle Iron. Yes it’s pricy, but is so worth the money! Makes perfect waffles every single time. You can find it in my Amazon Shop (this link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
And be sure your waffle iron is well greased. I use olive oil and brush the top and bottom of the iron with the oil before placing in the potatoes. This also helps them crisp up and prevent sticking.
Let them cook for about 5 mins in the iron…et voila! You’ll have the most beautiful hash brown potato waffles! You can transfer them to a cookie sheet and pop in a 300F (150C) degree oven to keep warm while you prep the scramble.
Top with eggs, smokey salsa, avocado and fresh cilantro and you’ll have one impressive brunch treat on your hands! Enjoy! xx
For a Step-by-Step demo of this recipe you can watch my video tutorial below. SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL (it’s free!) and never miss a recipe! New videos post each Saturday.
LOOKING FOR MORE BRUNCH IDEAS?Print
- FOR WAFFLE:
- 2 cup (475 ml) shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup (240 ml) finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) hot sauce (1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) if you don’t want these too spicy
- 2 eggs
- FOR SCRAMBLE:
- 10 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (30 g) butter
- salt & Pepper
- 2 slices Avocado per person
- Cilantro, freshly chopped
- Smokey salsa
- Pre-heat waffle iron to highest setting. Mix up waffle ingredients. Brush generous amount of olive oil on iron. Scoop out ½ cup (120 ml) of mixture spread in iron. Bake for 4-5 mins until golden brown. Transfer to a cookie sheet and keep warm in the oven at 300F (150C).
- Which eggs with water. Melt butter in a non-stick skillet until sizzling, add eggs and turn flame down to low. Gently scramble allow eggs to remain still and cook in between motions. Once large curds form, turn off flame and continue to cook until desired doneness.
- Plate potato waffle on plate, top with a scoop of eggs, season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Spoon over salsa, add 2 avocado slices and top with freshly chopped cilantro.