The 4th of July is such a fun and festive summer highlight! If you are entertaining a crowd this year why not serve some “cheater” Red, White and Blue Ice Cream with Homemade Waffle Cones! I promise it’s easier than you may think.
For a step-by-step tutorial of this recipe you can watch my video below! This video is part of a special July 4th/Canada collaboration with Anna Olson of Oh Yum! You can watch our dessert videos below.
The “cheater” technique involves using store-bought vanilla ice cream, and swirling in blackberry and strawberry fruit puree.
The result is a patriotic swirl of ice cream deliciousness!
To make the cones you’ll need a waffle cone maker. They are a fun investment to make. This one is my favorite model. (This link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner) It’s really easy to use! Although the directions say to set the iron on level 3..I think the better setting for getting nicely browned cones is between 5/6.
It comes with the cone form and you just roll them up and presto! Instant waffle cones. It takes a little practice, but doesn’t take long to get the hang of it!
I also love these cone holders which make it easy to keep the cones upright and it’s a nice way to serve them too. (this link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
The ice cream is best made the night before to freeze well before serving, but I would recommend making the cones the day of, to preserve their crispness. Enjoy! xx
- For the ice cream:
- 42 ounces (about 1 ½ quarts) of good quality vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup (150g) fresh blackberries
- 1 cup (150g) fresh strawberries, quartered
- 2 tbsp (25g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- For the cones:
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) tsp salt
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- 2/3 cup (70 g) flour
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) cinnamon
- 2-3 tbsp (30-45ml) melted butter
- Place ice cream at room temperature to soften. Meanwhile in a blender combine blackberries, 1 tbsp (13g) sugar 1 tbsp (15 ml) water, blend to puree and transfer to a small bowl.
- Clean out blender and add strawberries, sugar and white and puree, transfer to a small bowl.
- Scoop out softened ice cream in create 1 layer of scoops in the bottom of a loaf pan 9 x 5 (23cm x 13 cm). Smooth out with a spatula to create a flat surface. Add dollops of the blackberries puree, and then dollops of the strawberry puree then swirl gently and minimally with a skewer. Add another layer of ice cream and repeat the process.
- Cover with foil and freeze overnight.
- To make the waffle cones, combine all ingredients and follow the instructions of your waffle cone maker. If using the Chef Choice model in between setting 5/6 works best! Allow them to cool, and serve immediately!
- Place out the cones and ice cream and let everyone serve themselves!