Summer presents the opportunity to get creative with our burgers! And for me, this one is hands-down the Ultimate Burger Recipe. It’s a little bit American, a little bit French, and the perfect “mashup” of flavors for a creative burger recipe.
These hamburgers pair beautifully with my Traditional Potato Salad, Creamy Cucumber Dill Salad or my Charred Mexican Salad. If you have an air fryer you could also pair them with my Air Fryer Potato wedges.
WATCH MY ULTIMATE BURGER VIDEO BELOW!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!)
What’s the Best Ground Beef for Hamburgers?
Personally, I think the best ground beef for burgers is organic, grass-fed beef with a high percentage of fat 80-85% lean. I wouldn’t use lean beef for burgers since the fat will keep them nice and juicy! A burger made with lean meat tends to be a dry burger.
It’s something you can ask your butcher for and often times it’s also marked on the packaging too.
What spices to put in a burger?
This can be a matter of preference, but for a “Franglais” flavor I love to add Herbs de Provence. It’s a spice blend you can find at most major supermarkets or online. It includes dried basil, oregano, parsley, and marjoram and sometimes even dried lavender.
It gives your burgers a depth of flavor from the ground up, which is only built upon later with the toppings and spreads.
How do you make Hamburger Patties Stay together?
Some people will use a combination of bread crumbs and egg. Personally, I find the breadcrumbs weigh the burger down too much and they become to dry. So I just opt for the egg and it works great.
Do Not Over Work The Patties
Overworking the burger meat will create a tough, dense burger. Keep your patty-forming light and gentle will create a light and moist burger.
The Secret Ingredient For a Juicy Burger
Butter. It’s all about the butter. Insert a cube of butter in the middle of your burger and then patch it up so it’s well covered. This will prevent the butter from oozing out of the burger and instead stay inside the burger as it cooks.
As the butter melts into the burger, it will create such a delicious juicy burger that’s also full of flavor! Butter has a way of making anything taste better.
Resist the Temptation to “Flatten”!
I’m not sure why we are so tempted to flatten down our burgers with a spatula while they are cooking, but DO NOT DO THIS! See all the juice extracting from it? This should stay IN the burger not on our grills. Otherwise, we will contribute to “Dry Burger Syndrome”.
Best Toppings to Put On Burgers
Skip the American cheese and go for something a bit more interesting! For these burgers, I choose Swiss cheese. It gives you the right amount of sophisticated gooeyness and a nice European flavor profile.
Raw vs. Caramelized Onions?
If you ask me a great burger is all about the caramelized onions! They can be made the day ahead and reheated in the microwave before serving.
You’ll sautee up some red onions in a skillet with olive oil until they are caramelized and fragrant. Adding some minced rosemary and balsamic vinegar gives them a wonderful sweet yet savory flavor.
It’s an easy step to do that will up your burger game ten-fold! Your friends and family will thank you when they bite into them and taste these fantastic onions.
Gourmet Ketchup in 2-Steps
For the ketchup, you’ll want to go smokey. The smokey flavor gives these burgers a really nice gourmet-burger flair! And it’s the easiest trick in the book that guests will be hard-pressed to figure out what magical spell you put on their ketchup to make it taste so good!
Just add some smoked paprika to regular store-bought ketchup et voila! Yes, it’s as simple as that and makes all the difference! This ketchup is also really great with some potato wedges or roasted potatoes for a breakfast side too!
For a true “Franglais” burger the bun must be a brioche bun, and toasted. And for a subtle crunch and bit of freshness add some light and dainty Bibb lettuce.
And there you have it, one Ultimate Burger Recipe that will be the talk of your summer backyard BBQ-ing and shake up your burger game!
TERRIFIC SIDES FOR BURGERS
Please let me know if you make my ultimate burger recipe
by leaving a rating and review below
- 2 lbs (900g) ground beef (80-85% lean, you need some fat to keep the burger moist)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Herbs de Provence
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh parsley, finely diced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) pepper
- 5 tsp (15 g) butter
- 5 Brioche Buns
- 5 slices Swiss Cheese
- 5 slices Bibb Lettuce
- 5 tsp (60ml) Dijon mustard
- ½ cup (120 ml) of Ketchup
- 1 tsp (5 ml) smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 red onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp (10 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh thyme
- To begin, start by caramelizing the onions. Place oil in a pan until shinny, add onions, salt, and pepper and saute occasionally until soft and nicely browned. Then add vinegar and cook until evaporated and onions are limp and well caramelized. Set aside.
- Then combine the ketchup with the paprika and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together eggs, Worcestershire sauce, herbs de Provence, parsley, salt, and pepper. Place in your meat and gently mix with your hands. Do not overmix or you will have a tough burger.
- Form into gentle patties, and tuck a pat of butter into the center, this will keep it moist. Grill on a well-oiled grill or a grill pan, 4-5 mins for medium-rare, flip, add the cheese immediately, and grill for another 4-5 mins.
- Once the burgers are done allow them to rest for 5 mins (for the juices to set and redistribute), while you grill your buns to lightly toast them.
- To assemble, place Bibb lettuce on the bottom bun, top with burger. Place a dollop of ketchup on the burger, and top with a little pile of onions spread Dijon mustard on the top bun, and place on top. Et Voila! Enjoy!
The secret to a juicy burger is flip once and don't press down the burger, that only will force it to release its juices and dry out! Don't touch and just let them do their thing uninterrupted
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Aux Anysetiers du Roy - Herbs of Provence in Pottery Crock, Large 5 Ounce Jar
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)
- Hotec Premium Stainless Steel Locking Kitchen Tongs with Silicon Tips, Set of 2-9" and 12"
- The Spice Lab Smoked Paprika Powder - High Color ASTA 120+ - 1.8 oz. French Jar – Premium Gourmet Spanish Paprika Powder - Vegan All Natural Kosher Non GMO Gluten Free Spice – Rich in Antioxidants
- All-Clad D3 Stainless Cookware, 12-Inch Fry Pan with Lid, Tri-Ply Stainless Steel, Professional Grade, Silver, Model:41126
- John Boos Block RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 24 Inches x 18 Inches x 2.25 Inches
- All-Clad E7954164 HA1 Hard Anodized Nonstick Dishwaher Safe PFOA Free Grande Grill Cookware, 13 20-Inch, Black, 13" x 20"
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 619Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 245mgSodium: 756mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 26g