Summer presents the opportunity to get creative with our burgers! And for me, this one is hands-down the Ultimate Burger Recipe. It’s a little bit American, a little bit French, and the perfect “mashup” of flavors for a creative burger recipe.
These hamburgers pair beautifully with my Traditional Potato Salad, Creamy Cucumber Dill Salad or my Charred Mexican Salad. If you have an air fryer you could also pair them with my Air Fryer Potato wedges.
WATCH MY ULTIMATE BURGER VIDEO BELOW!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!)
What’s the Best Ground Beef for Hamburgers?
Personally, I think the best ground beef for burgers is organic, grass-fed beef with a high percentage of fat 80-85% lean. I wouldn’t use lean beef for burgers since the fat will keep them nice and juicy! A burger made with lean meat tends to be a dry burger.
What spices to put in a burger?
This can be a matter of preference, but for a “Franglais” flavor I love to add Herbs de Provence. It’s a spice blend you can find at most major supermarkets or online. It includes dried basil, oregano, parsley, and marjoram and sometimes even dried lavender.
How do you make Hamburger Patties Stay together?
Some people will use a combination of bread crumbs and egg. Personally, I find the breadcrumbs weigh the burger down too much and they become to dry. So I just opt for the egg and it works great.
Once you get the basics down it’s all about the toppings and condiments.
For these burgers, I choose Swiss cheese. It gives you the right amount of sophisticated gooeyness and a nice European flavor profile .
Carmelized onions are a must and the best part is they can be made a day ahead.
For the ketchup, you’ll want to go smokey. The smokey flavor gives these burgers a nice gourmet flair.
Just add some smoked paprika to regular ketchup et voila! Yes, it’s as simple as that and makes all the difference!
For a true “Franglais” burger the bun must be a brioche bun, and toasted. And for a subtle crunch and bit of freshness add some light and dainty Bibb lettuce.
And there you have it, one Ultimate Burger Recipe that will be the talk of your backyard BBQ.
Please let me know if you make my ultimate burger recipe
by leaving a rating and review below
- 2 lbs (900g) ground beef (80-85% lean, you need some fat to keep the burger moist)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Herbs de Provence
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh parsley, finely diced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) pepper
- 5 tsp (15 g) butter
- 5 Brioche Buns
- 5 slices Swiss Cheese
- 5 slices Bibb Lettuce
- 5 tsp (60ml) Dijon mustard
- ½ cup (120 ml) of Ketchup
- 1 tsp (5 ml) smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 red onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp (10 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh thyme
- To begin, start by caramelizing the onions. Place oil in a pan until shinny, add onions, salt, and pepper and saute occasionally until soft and nicely browned. Then add vinegar and cook until evaporated and onions are limp and well caramelized. Set aside.
- Then combine the ketchup with the paprika and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together eggs, Worcestershire sauce, herbs de Provence, parsley, salt, and pepper. Place in your meat and gently mix with your hands. Do not overmix or you will have a tough burger.
- Form into gentle patties, and tuck a pat of butter into the center, this will keep it moist. Grill on a well-oiled grill or a grill pan, 4-5 mins for medium-rare, flip, add the cheese immediately, and grill for another 4-5 mins.
- Once the burgers are done allow them to rest for 5 mins (for the juices to set and redistribute), while you grill your buns to lightly toast them.
- To assemble, place Bibb lettuce on the bottom bun, top with burger. Place a dollop of ketchup on the burger, and top with a little pile of onions spread Dijon mustard on the top bun, and place on top. Et Voila! Enjoy!
The secret to a juicy burger is flip once and don't press down the burger, that only will force it to release its juices and dry out! Don't touch and just let them do their thing uninterrupted
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- All-Clad D3 Stainless Cookware, 12-Inch Fry Pan with Lid, Tri-Ply Stainless Steel, Professional Grade, Silver, Model:41126
- John Boos Block RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 24 Inches x 18 Inches x 2.25 Inches
- All-Clad E7954164 HA1 Hard Anodized Nonstick Dishwaher Safe PFOA Free Grande Grill Cookware, 13 20-Inch, Black, 13" x 20"
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 619Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 245mgSodium: 756mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 26g