These Ginger Molasses Cookie Sandwiches are my all time favorite summer dessert idea! They are spicy and sweet with just the right amount of chewiness.
Ginger Molasses cookies don’t need to be limited to a Christmas cookie, in fact they are fantastic in the summertime where turned into some delicious tasting ice cream sandwiches!
For a step-by-step of this recipe you can watch my video below!
But if you can’t find it it’s also easy to buy online (this product link go to Amazon where I am compensated on products sold at no cost to the consumer).
I think the thing that makes them extra delicious is the candied ginger mixed into the dough. You can typically find it in the spice aisle of your supermarket.
You can make and assemble the sandwiches the day before serving and then freeze them overnight. This will make them easy to slice into (without making a squishy mess!) the following day.
FOR MORE GREAT SUMMER DESSERTS!
- Triple Berry Campfire Cake
- Cream Cheese Brownie Recipe
- Coconut Ice Cream Baskets with Strawberry Sauce
- Coconut Cream Pie
- No-Bake Berry Cheesecake
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a rating and review below!
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- ¾ cup (180 g) butter
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (240 ml) flour
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) ground ginger
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) ground cloves
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) candied ginger, diced
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar, for rolling cookie dough in
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (176C).
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses, and beat, then add egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cloves. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, in thirds, beating in between each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Then add the candied ginger. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
- Scoop out dough with an ice cream scoop, and then roll in sugar.
- Place cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet leaving room to spread.
- Bake 15 mins until cookies are set and begin to show cracks.
- Allow to cool completely, assemble sandwiches with 1-2 scoops of ice cream, place assembled sandwiches on a cookie sheet and freeze for at least 1 hour (overnight even better) until ready to serve! Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 79Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 33mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g