This Grilled Chicken Fajita recipe is a fantastic main dish for summer entertaining! It checks all the boxes for a crowd-pleasing meal! Pile everything high on a platter and serve this family-style. It's a fun way to serve it that gets your guests interacting with each other and having fun!
This is also a great weeknight meal too when made off-season, just use an indoor grill pan.
What To Serve with Grilled Fajitas?
- Start your meal off with some refreshing Agua Frescas or Sangria
- If serving a crowd, pair these with my Carne Asada Tacos
- To round out the meal you can add my Charred Mexican Corn Salad for a quick and easy side dish
- And for dessert, some delicious Churro Sundaes would be a big hit!
Watch a Video Demo of My Fajita Recipe Below!
Subscribe to My Newsletter and Never Miss a Recipe!
Step 1: Make the Chicken Fajita Marinade
The great thing about marinading with tequila and lime juice is that it doesn't take very long. Add the zest and juice from one lime, tequila, olive oil, garlic, salt, ground cumin, red pepper flakes, and chopped cilantro. Whisk to combine and add chicken breasts and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Be careful not to over-marinate the chicken or the acid from the lime juice will end up "cooking" the chicken (like ceviche!) and you will end up with a rubbery piece of chicken.
What kind of chicken should you use for Grilled Fajitas?
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are ideal for chicken fajitas. You can buy regular breasts and pound them at home, or you can ask your butcher for breast cutlets. This way, the chicken will cook quicker and will be easier to place in your tortillas.
Step 2: Prep the Veggies
I like to use a cast-iron skillet to sauté the veggies. It will give you those nice char marks you typically get when ordering fajitas in a restaurant and I find the cast-iron skillet adds to the flavor as well.
Place the onions in first, then add the peppers. Allow the veggies to rest in the pan for about a minute at a time to get the nice charred edges. Then season with salt, pepper, and dried oregano.
Use Colorful Bell Peppers
In the summer when Bell Peppers are in season I like to use a range of colors because not only do they make for a pretty presentation, but they are sweeter and more flavorful too. But really, you can use any bell peppers you like. Once they are tender, turn off the flame and set them aside.
Step 3: Grilling the Chicken & Tortillas
For this step, you can use your outdoor grill or a grill pan. Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry to remove any excess liquid.
Be sure to Pat the Chicken Dry
If you do not pat dry and place "wet" chicken breasts on the grill, the steam from the grill will prevent the chicken from getting those beautiful char marks and flavor! You can lightly brush the chicken with olive oil to get a nice, golden brown color.
Place chicken on an indoor grill pan for 5-7 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove and transfer to a plate and allow to rest to keep the juices intact.
Grilling the Tortillas
Then, on the same grill pan, grill the tortillas a few minutes on each side, just until they are nice and warm and lightly grilled.
I like to use uncooked tortillas from the refrigerated section of the grocery store. They add a gourmet touch to this meal and cook up nicely on the grill. The texture is also fantastic! As each tortilla has been cooked, place them on a large platter, and gently fold them over to make the fajita assembly easy for your guests.
Step 3: Assemble the Fajita Platter
- Before serving, quickly heat up the peppers and onions. You can also serve them at room temperature.
- To assemble the fajita platter, slice chicken on the diagonal and place on a large platter, with the limes.
- Then add the peppers and tortillas.
Topping Ideas For Grilled Fajitas:
- You can top the fajitas with the peppers and some of my chunky homemade guacamole.
- Top with Pico de gallo
- Serve a selection of hot sauces
- Offer a side dish of black beans
- Lightly shredded Mexican blend cheese is also nice
- Don't forget the lime wedges and fresh cilantro too!
More Great Summer Recipes!
- New England Shrimp Rolls
- Triple Berry Campfire Camp
- No-Bake Berry Cheesecake
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream
If You Enjoyed This Recipe
Please Leave a Rating and a Review Below
- 1 ½ pounds (675 g) of bones, skinless chicken breast cutlets
- 1 lime, juice and zest + 2 limes for grilling
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tequila
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) cumin
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 red Pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch dried oregano
- Beth’s Chunky Guacamole
- 8 Tortillas
- Mix together the marinade in a large bowl. Place chicken inside for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions in a skillet until tender and caramelized. Add peppers. Cook peppers allowing them to rest in pan to become slightly charred. For this a cast-iron skillet is ideal. Once tender season with salt and pepper and oregano. Set aside.
- Grill chicken and limes on an indoor grill pan 5-7 mins each side until cooked through. Remove and transfer to a plate and allow to rest.
- Then grill 8 tortillas on each pan both sides.
- Slice chicken on the diagonal and place on a large platter, with the limes. Then place the peppers and tortillas. Serve with guacamole!
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are ideal for chicken fajitas. You can buy regular breasts and pound them at home, or you can ask your butcher for breast cutlets. This way, the chicken will cook quicker and will be easier to place in your tortillas.
- For this recipe, it's really worth spending the extra money on uncooked tortillas and grilling them yourself. They are SO delicious and make the dish just a bit more gourmet.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 418mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g