Two of my most favorite flavors are banana and chocolate. Put them together in a muffin and the flavor combination is sublime! These are really fantastic when made in a Jumbo Muffin Tin! Since it allows for enough room to fully enjoy both flavors.
Looking for a jumbo muffin tin? You can find one in my Amazon Store (these links go to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
The moist banana bread on top, speckled with dark ribbons of chocolate is a little tease for what is to come. Don’t tell your guests what’s inside and as they slice into it they will be pleasantly surprised!
For a step-by-step demo of this recipe watch my video below!
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL and never miss a recipe (it’s free!) and new videos post each Saturday!
LOOKING FOR MORE MUFFIN RECIPES?Print
- For chocolate bottoms:
- ¼ cup (25g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup (120 ml) hot water
- ½ cup (100 g) of sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- ½ cup (120 g) flour
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) baking soda
- For Banana Nut Top:
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (120 ml) canola oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- ¾ cup (150 g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup (210 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/3 cup (50 g) chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Spay a jumbo 6-cup muffin tip with baking spray and set aside.
- Mix together the chocolate batter first. In a large bowl whisk together the cocoa powder, water, and sugar. Then add the oil, egg and vanilla, whisking until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add the flour, salt and baking soda. Whisk until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture, whisk until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill each well in the tin with 1 generous scoop and set aside.
- Then make the banana batter. In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork or a potato masher. Add eggs, oil, water, sugar and vanilla, whisk until combined.
- In a smaller bowl add flour, salt and baking powdered, whisk until combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until combined.
- Scoop out banana mixture on top of chocolate mixture, going just about to the top (leave about ¼ inch at top)
- Place chopped walnuts on top.
- Bake muffins for 15 mins at 400F (200C) then reduce to 350F (176C) for 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely and then serve!