These are the best apple cinnamon muffins with crumb topping for a lazy weekend! They are so flavorful thanks to the brown sugar and cinnamon. Topped with a crunchy crumb topping and bursting with currants and walnuts, the combination is just divine!
Theses muffins are also so easy to put together and you probably have all of the ingredients just sitting in your pantry and fridge!
WATCH MY VIDEO DEMO OF THIS RECIPE BELOW!
STEP#1: Mix the Wet Ingredients
In a large bowl mix together all the wet ingredients and the brown sugar.
TIP: If your brown sugar has hardened you can soften it up by placing it in a microwave safe bowl and microwaving it for :05 increments until soft.
STEP#2: Whisk the Dry Ingredients
In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Then add the dry to the wet, mixing in a little at a time in thirds, until combined.
TIP: I like to mix my muffin batter with a whisk, I find it’s a more gentle way to combine the dry and wet and prevent over-mixing.
What Apples Are Best for Muffins?
I like to use fuji apples for these muffins because I like a little bit of tartness. For a sweeter apple though you could use gala apples.
TIP: Be sure to cut your apples into a small dice. This will assure they will be tender after they are baked.
STEP#3: Fold in your mix-ins
Add the apples, currants and walnuts and gently fold them into the batter.
I like to use currants in muffins instead of raisins, because they are smaller they tend to work a bit better in a muffin.
Instead of walnuts you could also use pecans if you prefer.
STEP#4: Scoop Batter into Muffin Tray
I’m in love with this new Silpat muffin tray because it’s so easy! There is no need to grease the tray or use muffin papers. Just place the tray on a baking sheet and fill the wells.
The best part is how easily the muffins just pop right out!
How To Make Oatmeal Crumb Topping Muffins
In a small bowl combine flour, old fashioned oats, brown sugar, baking power and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
Then add the melted butter, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
Whisk to combine and a crumbly mixture will form. This is a great crumb topping you can use for any muffin recipe.
Add a teaspoon of the crumb topping to each muffin well.
Place your muffins in a 375F oven for 20-25 minutes until muffins are golden brown and baked through.
Can You Freeze Apple Cinnamon Muffins?
Yes! These muffins freeze beautifully. Once they are baked, allow to cool completely and then transfer to a re-sealable plastic bag and freeze. To re-heat wrap in paper towel and microwave at :30 increments until warmed through.
These are really good slathered with a pat of butter! Hope you enjoy!
MORE BREAKFAST TREATS!
- Cappuccino Muffin
- Apple Cinnamon Pastries
- Blueberry Crumb Cake
- Overnight Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Spice Waffles
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a rating and review below!
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar
- ¾ cup (180ml) vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup (160ml) water
- 1 ¾ cup (210g) flour
- 2 tsp (10ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10ml) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) salt
- ¾ cup (110g) apples, diced
- 1/3 cup (50g) currants or raisins
- 1/3 cup (50g) walnuts, chopped
- 4 tbsp. (30g) flour
- 3 tbsp. (25g) old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 tbsp. (12g) brown sugar
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) baking powder
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) butter, melted
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin papers or spray with baking spray.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, brown sugar, vegetable oil and water. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, in thirds, until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the apples, currants and walnuts. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl make the crumb topping. Combine the dry ingredients and whisk together. Then add the melted butter and the vanilla. Whisk together with a fork until a dry crumble is formed.
- Scoop muffin batter into muffin tin with an ice cream scooper, filling ¾ of the way full. Top with 1 tsp of the crumble.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until golden brown.
I like to use Fuji apples for these muffins but for a sweeter apple you could also use Gala apples.
Be sure to dice your apples on the small side so they are tender after they are baked.
These muffins freeze well! Once cooled transfer to a re=sealable plastic bag and freeze. Then wrap in paper towel and microwave on high for :30 increments until warmed through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 67 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 14mg Carbohydrates: 9g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g