This Sheet Pan Chicken with Potatoes and Veggies is one of the easiest chicken dinners on the planet! It’s a great quick and easy dinner idea that takes only 30 minutes in the oven, and by using chicken legs it keeps the meat moist and tender while the Brussel sprouts, potatoes, and carrots become nicely roasted and caramelized!
It’s one of my favorite weeknight dinner recipes because it provides a well-rounded meal, that cooks itself with only one pan to clean!
HOW-TO MAKE SHEET PAN CHICKEN AND VEGGIES!
How-To Make a Marinade for Sheet Pan Chicken?
The best part about this recipe is how easy the marinade is. It only takes a few ingredients and doesn’t need to marinate for any length of time. The marinating is done in the oven! All it takes is a little fresh lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic. Et voila!
Be sure to slice the garlic instead of mincing it or chopping it. This will assure that your garlic will caramelize and not burn.
TIP: I like to mix the marinade with the chicken in a casserole dish because it’s easier to coat the chicken and veggies on a flat surface as opposed to a bowl.
If you wanted to roast the chicken in the casserole dish, you could, but I find you get a crispier result with everything spread out on a sheet pan.
What’s the Best Cut of Chicken For Sheet Pan Chicken?
The secret to sheet pan dinners, in my opinion, is to use the same cut of chicken. That way everything will be done at the same time. If you mix up the cuts, for example, chicken breasts and chicken thighs, the breasts will dry out before the thighs are done. So it’s best to stay within the same cut of meat.
I like to use bone-in, skin-on chicken legs that include the chicken thigh and the drumstick. I think they are the most flavorful cut of chicken and they are the cheapest too! They tend to look a bit prettier on the plate once served as well.
I also find the dark meat stands up better to the 30-40 minute roasting time needed to caramelize the vegetables and won’t dry out they way chicken breasts would.
The Benefits of Baby Vegetables
I like to use a combination of baby vegetables since they are small and will cook at the same rate. But if you wanted to just bake the chicken and use your air fryer for a side dish, I highly recommend my air fryer cauliflower recipe. That would also pair really nicely with this dinner too! Or you could also try my sour cream mashed potatoes that would be fantastic as well!
To prep the veggies, quarter the potatoes and cut the Brussels sprouts in half, this will allow them to carmelize on their cut sides and be easier to eat as bite-sized pieces. I like to leave the baby carrots whole because I think they look prettier that way on the plate. You can find these cute baby carrots already peeled and ready to go at Trader Joe’s. Seriously, what would we do without these folks?! How I love Trader Joe’s.
Dredge all the veggies through the marinade and place them on the sheet pan with the chicken making sure everything is spread out on a single layer.
How Long To Bake Sheet Pan Chicken?
Cooking time for sheet pan chicken can vary depending upon the cut of chicken you are using. White meat chicken will take less time than dark meat chicken. For this recipe, you’ll place your sheet pan in a 400F (200C) oven for 30-40 minutes until the chicken legs are golden brown and cooked through. At that point, your veggies will also be nice and tender too!
For a Pretty Presentation
Sheet pan chicken is such an easy recipe that it also works well for entertaining. To make it look great on a platter, transfer the veggies first to form a bed of vegetables, then place the chicken legs on top. I think this dish looks extra fancy that way and no one needs to know how easy it was to make!
If you have a little more time another great chicken dish for entertaining is my Chicken and Mushroom Crepes! And the best part is you can have them made ahead of time too!
Then you can garnish with some fresh rosemary sprigs and dinner is ready!
If you have leftover chicken you can put it to good use for tomorrow night’s dinner in my quick and easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. Another fantastic weeknight staple at our house!
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS SHEET PAN CHICKEN LEAVE A RATING BELOW!
This helps others discover and enjoy the recipe too!
- 6 Bone-In, Skin-On Chicken legs
- ¾ lb (340g) baby red potatoes, skins on quartered
- 10 Baby Brussel sprouts, sliced in half
- 5-6 baby carrots, peeled and kept whole
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) fresh rosemary, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F(200C)
- In a large 9 x 13 (23 x 34) casserole dish combine lemon juice, olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk together. Add chicken legs and coat all over with mixture and then transfer to sheet pan, do the same with each of the veggies and transfer to sheet pan as well.
- Place pan in the oven and roast for 35-45 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through and veggies are tender and caramelized. This can depend upon the size of your chicken legs and size of your veggies. Bigger chicken legs and veggies could take a bit more time.
- Transfer veggies to a large platter, serve chicken on top. Garnish with fresh rosemary.
I like to use bone-in, skin on chicken legs. I think they are the most flavorful cut of chicken and they are the cheapest too!
Be sure to slice the garlic instead of mince or chopping it. This will assure that your garlic will caramelize and not burn.
If you have a Trader Joe's near you they sell the baby carrots already peeled and ready to go! A great time saver!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- BIA Cordon Bleu Porcelain 18-Inch Oval Serving / Fish Platter, White
- Wusthof Classic 7-piece Slim Knife Block Set (Acacia)
- Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inch
- Rösle Stainless Steel Mincing Garlic / Ginger Press with Scraper, 9-inch
- John Boos Block RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 24 Inches x 18 Inches x 2.25 Inches
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g