Air fryer Brussels Sprouts is one of my favorite air fryer recipes because they cook in half the time than in a regular oven! They also get really crispy and charred and become evenly roasted, without any flipping involved.
So if your goal is to eat better in the new year but eating more vegetables is a challenge, then try air frying vegetables! They are quick, easy and so delicious too!
New to Air Frying?
Check out my Top 10 Easy Air Fryer Recipes for more easy and delicious air fryer ideas! From perennial favorites like Air Fryer Taquitos to new things you maybe didn’t realize you can Air Fryer Blueberry Muffins or Crustless Quiche.
Watch My Video Demo Below!
Tips for Making a Crispy Brussels Sprout
- One of the biggest complaints when it comes to making Brussels sprouts is that they can be mushy! And a mushy Brussels sprout is not good!
- To make them crispy, first make sure that after you wash them, they are completely dry before cooking. In fact, I dry them twice, once after washing and once after cutting.
- Do not crowd the air fryer. Allowing the Brussels spouts ample room in the fryer will assure even cooking and browning which will lead to increased crispiness!
- Be sure to use enough fat, and that it is evenly distributed on the sprouts. I use at least 2-3 sprays of olive oil on the sprouts and toss them well before putting them in the air fryer.
- Fry at 375F for 10-12 minutes, this is the perfect temperature for getting a crispy sprout that is also cooked through.
- Toss them in the air fryer basket mid-way through to assure they are getting crispy on all sides.
What To Serve with Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts?
- I love to serve this recipe with my One-Pot Chicken and Potato recipe or my Chicken Marsala.
- Or you could also pair these sprouts with my Air Fryer Cauliflower recipe along with some Homemade Hummus or Baba Ganoush for a delicious Vegetarian Dinner!
STEP#1: Prep the Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels sprouts are pretty dense, so the smaller variety tends to work a bit better for air frying.
- They will cook quicker and be more tender inside.
- If your sprouts are larger just cut them in quarters.
Cut Sides Create Better Charring
- Trim off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and any loose or damaged leaves.
- Then slice them in half.
- The cut side is what will create the beautiful charring and caramelization of the sprouts, which is what makes them so delicious!
The more cuts you have the more caramelization you will get, so even if your sprouts are small, you could quarter them and fry less time for greater caramelization and crispiness.
STEP#2: Toss with Seasonings
- It’s best not to use too much oil in your air fryer or it could affect its operation.
- But I find air fryer vegetables need just a bit of oil to get the best crispiness.
- The best way to add a little oil without over-doing it, is with an olive oil spray bottle.
- This creates just a thin layer of oil which in addition to flavor also adds to the crispiness.
- All it takes is 2-3 sprays of olive oil on the Brussels sprouts. It’s also fewer calories this way too!
It’s all About the Balsamic Vinegar
- What gives these Brussels sprouts so much flavor, is the balsamic vinegar.
- It will cook into the Brussels sprouts and caramelize, giving your sprouts a sweet yet savory coating.
- Be sure to toss them up well with tongs, to allow the olive oil, salt, and pepper, and vinegar to evenly coat the sprouts.
STEP#3: Air Fry 375F
- Set the temperature at 375F and air fry for 12 minutes.
- At this stage, they will already be charred and mostly cooked through. Then you’ll add the dried cranberries and walnuts and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- This will allow the nuts to become toasted which will bring out their flavor and warm the cranberries which will soften them.
- This is a wonderful vegetable side dish that comes together so quickly and easily!
- Another delicious addition to this recipe would be to add some blue cheese or freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top, as soon as they come out of the air fryer.
- The heat from the sprouts will soften the cheese and warm it too.
- The blue cheese combined with the walnuts, cranberries, and balsamic vinegar, is a fantastic flavor combination!
- Or serve them chilled and serve them with a Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette, which makes for a wonderful Brussels Sprouts salad for holiday entertaining too. Or for an even easier Brussels Sprouts salad try my shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad.
- If using Parmesan cheese, try adding some red pepper flakes on top or crispy bacon which is also a great flavor combination too.
How To Reheat Brussels Sprouts in The Air Fryer
- You can also crisp up an already cooked Brussels sprout in the air fryer too, and elevate their mushy texture!
- Pat them dry with a paper towel, to remove any moisture.
- Toss them with a few pumps of olive oil spray (2-3 sprays)
- Air Fry at 400F (since they are already cooked you can use a higher temperature to get them crispy) for 5-8 minutes. Toss the basket mid-way through.
More Vegetarian Recipes!
- Mushroom Ragu with Creamy Polenta
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Roasted Tomato and Eggplant Soup
- Thai Red Curry with Sweet Potatoes, Cauliflower, and Kale
If You Enjoyed this Recipe
Please Leave a Rating and a Review Below
- 1 lb (450g) small Brussels sprouts
- 2-3 sprays of olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Slice Brussels sprouts in half and place them in a medium bowl. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar.
- Place in the air fryer at 375F (190C) for 13 minutes. Then add the walnuts and cranberries and
cook for 1 more minute.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and serve chilled with my Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette.
All Air Fryers operate a bit differently. You may need to adjust the time or temperature for your individual model. To be safe, air fry for 10 minutes to start and increase the time as needed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g