This easy hummus recipe is a fantastic, easy appetizer that comes together in minutes. Once you try homemade hummus, you will never buy store-bought again!
Watch my Video Demo on Recipe Below!
How do you make hummus from scratch?
It takes just a few ingredients and a food processor to get restaurant-quality results! You basically, just add garbanzo beans, garlic, lemon, tahini, parsley, and seasonings in a food processor, whirl it up, and then slowly add the oil.
TIP: Be sure to rinse the garbanzo beans before using them. The canned variety is OK, but they have been sitting in water and sometimes have a weird sliminess to them. So best to give them a good rinse!
How to serve it?
You can serve some grilled flatbreads, sprinkled with sea salt, is my favorite way to enjoy this recipe! Or you could also serve it with some raw vegetables as well. It also can be made hours ahead of time, making it ideal for entertaining. Enjoy!
- Baba Ganoush with Homemade Pita Chips
- How-to Create a Cheeseboard
- Bacon Mac and Cheese Bites
- Tarte Au Soleil
- Goat Cheese Tartlettes
Please let me know if you make this recipe
by leaving a rating and review below
- 30 ounces (844 g) of canned chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) of tahini
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ (7.5 ml) tsp salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin
- ½ cup (120 ml) of olive oil + 1 tbsp (15 ml) for pita bread
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) of liquid for thinning (lemon juice, water or more olive oil)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) of Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 package of your favorite pita bread
- Sprinkling of fleur de sel sea salt
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Set aside 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of chickpeas for garnish.
- Whirl remaining chickpeas and water in food processor until smooth.
- Add tahini, lemon, garlic, salt and cumin. Pulse until combined and smooth. While the machine is running, slowly add ½ cup (120 ml) of the oil.
- Transfer into a serving bowl, drizzle with a little more olive oil, garnish with fresh parsley and sprinkle with cumin.
- Brush pita bread with remaining oil and sea salt and grill on both sides.
- Serve grilled bread with the hummus.
Be sure to set aside 5-10 garbanzo beans before you place them in the food processor. These you'll want for the garnish on top
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1376Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2633mgCarbohydrates: 223gFiber: 61gSugar: 38gProtein: 69g