A working person’s best friend is hands down The Slow Cooker. You can make so many delicious things in it! And the best part is you just set it and forget it and come home to a house filled with the most intoxicating aroma that feels as though you’ve been standing over the stove all day long. No need with this recipe! Taco Tuesday has never been easier! (Pssst…makes enough for leftovers too!)
For a step-by-step tutorial of this recipe you can watch my video demo below. Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (Don’t worry, it’s free!)
For this recipe I’m using the 4 qt 3-in-1 Slow Cooker by Cuisinart (this link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil
- 2 lbs (900 g) ground chuck beef (85% lean 15% fat)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1 cup (150 g) white onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 cans (30 oz/900 ml) diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
- 4 tsp (20 ml) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 ml) white vinegar
- SERVE WITH:
- Store-bought taco shells
- A selection of hot sauces
- 1 cup (240 ml) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (240 ml) shredded iceberg lettuce
- Set slow cooker on brown/saute at 400F.(200C). Drizzle oil in the cooking pot and brown meat until cooked through.
- Then add all ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Press: Slow Cook. Allow to slow cook on low for anywhere for 3-7 hours.
- Just before serving check add 1 tsp white vinegar, stir to combine. Serve with store-bought taco shells, cheese, shredded lettuce and hot sauce.
- Makes for great easy leftovers too!
If not making in a slow cooker, use a large stockpot or dutch oven. Drizzle 1 tbsp of oil in the pot and saute onions until soft and tender. Then brown meat until cooked through, then add all ingredients and simmer for 30-40 minutes until most liquid is evaporated. Add vinegar, stir and serve!
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex