Learn how to make cinnamon rolls, this recipe for Overnight Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Glaze is the perfect Sunday morning treat!
WATCH MY VIDEO DEMO OF THIS RECIPE BELOW!
Cinnamon Buns must be one of the world’s most comforting foods. Especially as the weather turns cool, a warm cozy kitchen emitting a fragrance of yeasted dough and cinnamon is heaven on earth.
But let’s face it, cinnamon buns are a ton of work. Most recipes require an hour of initial rising, then you need to fill them and slice them and let that rise for another hour.
Then they need to bake for about 45 mins, but the time the process is complete 3 hours has gone by! Doesn’t anyone even want a cinnamon bun by noon on a Sunday? Sigh…
Can cinnamon rolls be made the day before?
Yes! That’s why I LOVE this recipe for overnight cinnamon rolls! Just prep all the ingredients the night before and let the dough rise while you are sleeping! Then wake up the next morning, fill, slice and bake straightaway.
It’s dangerous how easy these are…because they are SO good you’ll want to be making them every weekend!
How do you make cinnamon rolls from scratch?
You’ll begin by making a basic dough from flour, sugar, yeast and water. I like to also flavor my dough with cinnamon and orange zest. as well as add a few raisins!
Then it will rise (overnight) and then all you have to do is mix up the filling, spread into the rolled out dough, slice and bake.
How long does it take for cinnamon rolls to rise?
It usually can take anywhere from 2-3 hours with conventional cinnamon buns, but this overnight cinnamon bun recipe rises while you sleep. So if you can get at least 6 hours of sleep the night before, that’s all you need.
How do you make a cream cheese glaze?
The cream cheese glaze is also really easy and can be made the night before as well.
You’ll mix together whipped cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk (full recipe follows below)
MORE BREAKFAST TREATS!
- Dutch Baby Pancake
- Banana Pancakes with Bruleed Bananas
- Gingerbread French Toast
- Cappuccino Muffins with Chocolate Chips
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a rating and review belowPrint
These Overnight Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Glaze, are the perfect Sunday morning treat! Great for holiday entertaining as well! Make them the night before and let them rise while you sleep!
- 3 ½ cups (420 g) flour
- 2 ¼ tsp (1 package) (1/4 ounce/7g) dry active yeast
- 2 tbsp (25 g) of sugar
- 1 tsp salt (5 ml)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) orange zest
- ¾ cup (110 g) of raisins
- 1 ¼ cup warm water (between 110-125F or 43-51C)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) melted butter + 1 tbsp (15 ml) for greasing
- 2 tbsp (23 g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 g) white sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 2 tsp (5 ml) orange zest
- ½ cup (75 g) chopped pecans
- 4 tbsp (60 g) softened butter
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whipped cream cheese
- 1 tbsp (7 g) powdered sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) milk
- *Double Glaze recipe to have extra to serve on the side
- Combine flour, yeast, sugar, salt, cinnamon, orange zest, raisins. Then add water and melted butter and slowly mix into a dough, and then into a ball. Then knead on a floured surface for 20 turns.
- Place other 1 tbsp (15 ml) of butter in a clean bowl, and grease the sides of the bowl with it. Place dough inside and cover with plastic wrap. Set in a warm place overnight.
- Then have the filling ingredients below measured out and standing by on your counter and take out the 4 tbsp (60 g) of butter to allow to get to room temperature as well. This will make for easy assembly in the morning!
- To make the filling. Combine sugars and cinnamon, orange zest and pecans.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on well-floured surface; roll out to a 18” x 14” (45cm x 35cm) rectangle. Smear with softened butter, then sprinkle with filling.
- Roll up, like a jelly roll, from the long side. Slice into 2” (5cm) slices. Fit, cut side up, into a cast-iron skillet or pie plate or baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 mins until golden brown and puffed up.
- Meanwhile whisk together the glaze. In a small bowl combine the cream cheese and sugar whisk until smooth. Then add vanilla and milk whisk until smooth.
- Ladle frosting over warm cinnamon buns! And serve!
Double the recipe for the glaze if you want to have extra for serving alongside the skillet after drizzling
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cinnamon Buns, Overnight Cinnamon Buns, Brunch Recipes, Breakfast Recipes, Christmas Morning Recipes, Holiday Recipes