Christmas morning is “next-level” chaos at our house and that’s why I love anything that can be made the night before! This Gingerbread French Toast Bake with Warm Cinnamon Syrup surely does the trick!
Cut into generous wedges and served with a orange flavored cinnamon syrup with plump raisins, it’s the perfect decadent treat for Christmas morning. The night before just mix the batter and dip the bread (you can use brioche, Challah, really any dense egg bread will do!)
Line up the bread vertically, against your casserole dish, cover and refrigerate overnight! This will allow all that batter to soak into the bread and create a nice “bread pudding like” consistency once baked.
The Cinnamon Syrup can also be prepped ahead of time.
In fact, the flavors become more pronounced if you let them all marry in the fridge overnight. Then all you have to do is heat and serve!
For a step-by-step tutorial of this recipe you can watch my video demo below!
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! It’s free! And new videos post each week!Print
- 1 ½ loaves of Challah bread or brioche bread
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups (480 ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (65 g) sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) molasses
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) allspice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cloves
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) powdered sugar for garnishing
- Orange Raisin Cinnamon Syrup:
- 1 cup (240 ml) pure maple syrup
- 4-5 pieces of orange peel created with a potato peeler
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) raisins
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Spray a 13 x 9 Pyrex casserole dish well with baking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs until combined. Add cream, milk, sugar and molasses, whisk to combine. Add spices and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Slice Challah bread down the middle, vertically, then cut across horizontally, to create manageable slices.
- Pour egg batter into the casserole dish and then dunk bread, on both sides in the egg batter to coat on both sides. Begin lining bread upright, against one end of the dish, completing the process until all slices are coated and lined upright in the casserole dish. Wipe edges of dish clean with a paper towel. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F (176C) and bake for 30 mins uncovered, then cover and bake for another 25-30 mins until all the liquid is set and bread is baked through.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan combine all the ingredients for the syrup, simmer for 10 mins until warmed through and fragrant. Transfer syrup to a gravy boat for serving.
- Once French toast is done, allow to cool slightly, dust with the powdered sugar and place the dish in your basket cozy.
- Bring to the table with the gravy boat, cut into squares and top with the orange raisin syrup.