You’ll love this sausage and pepper recipe for a weeknight dinner. It’s a great comfort food recipe that takes hardly any time to put together. The only real prep is slicing the onions and peppers. How easy is that?
For a step-by-step demo you can watch my video tutorial below.
What’s The Best Way to Make Sausage, Peppers and Onions?
Personally, I think the best way to make this dish is to sear the sausages first, browning on all sides in order to get a nice golden color on them. Then you’ll finish cooking them in the oven. This will assure the sausages are well cooked on the inside, something that’s hard to achieve in the skillet alone.
STEP#1: Slice the Onions
You’ll slice and cook your onions first. This will give the onions a head-start, before adding the peppers. The longer the onions cook the sweeter they will be.
STEP#2: Add Bell Pepper
Don’t overcook the peppers. They just need a quick saute. This will retain their nutrients and provide a nice crunch.
Season the onions and peppers with salt and pepper to taste, and a tablespoon of Italian Seasoning.
TIP: Buying a seasoning blend is the most economical way to go since it will prevent you from having to buy 3-5 different spices.
STEP#3: Cook The Sausages
Begin by searing the sausages in a skillet to brown on all sides. This will get a nice sear on the sausage and bring out their flavor.
Then finish cooking in the oven to cook all the way through. They will plump up once they become fully-cooked inside.
STEP#4: How To Serve
Create a bed of the peppers and onions on a large platter and then place the sausages on top. Serve with some spicy dijon mustard on the side.
What Goes Well With Sausage and Peppers?
I love to serve my Smashed Potato Recipe with sausage and peppers but you could also do mashed potatoes or pasta too!
More Weeknight Dinners!
- Sweet Orange Chicken
- Veggie Quesadillas with Homemade Guacamole
- 15-Minute Dijon Chicken and Asparagus
- Thai Red Curry
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a rating and review below
- 10 Italian Pork Sweet Sausages
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 green peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried "Italian Seasoning"
- Heat large sauté pan. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil in the pan (less than a tsp). Cook sausages, browning on all sides. Then transfer to a heat safe casserole and finish cooking in a 350F (175C) degree oven about 15 mins or so.
- Meanwhile, heat pan with remaining oil. Saute onions, and season with salt and pepper. Once soft and fragrant add peppers. Cook just until they start to become soft, but still have their crispness. Add Italian seasoning.
- Serve sausages on a bed of peppers and onions along with some spicy Dijon mustard.
For a lighter recipe you can use Chicken Sausage too.
Serve with my Smashed Potatoes or Mashed Potatoes are great too.