One of my favorite budget-friendly weeknight meals is sausage and peppers. It’s filling and tasty and takes hardly any time to put together. The only real prep is slicing the onions and peppers. Easy peasy.
For a step-by-step demo you can watch my video tutorial below. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (It’s free) and new recipes are posted each week.
Make sure you give the onions a head-start, before adding the peppers. The longer the cook the sweeter they’ll get.
Then when it comes time to add the peppers I give them just a quick saute in order to retain their nutrients and provide a nice crunch.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, and a tablespoon of Italian Seasoning (most economical way to go rather than buying a much of different dried herbs, they are all in one jar!)
A nice presentation for this meal is to create a bed of the veggies on a large platter and then place the sausages on top. Serve with some spicy dijon mustard et voila! Dinner is served! Enjoy! xx
Sausage and peppers an easy, budget-friendly weeknight meal.
- 10 Italian Pork Sweet Sausages (or you can use chicken sausage too)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 green peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried “Italian Seasoning”
- Heat large sauté pan. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil in the pan (less than a tsp). Cook sausages, browning on all sides. Then transfer to a heat safe casserole and finish cooking in a 350F (175C) degree oven about 15 mins or so.
- Meanwhile, heat pan with remaining oil. Saute onions, and season with salt and pepper. Once soft and fragrant add peppers. Cook just until they start to become soft, but still have their crispness. Add Italian seasoning.
- Serve sausages on a bed of peppers and onions along with some spicy Dijon mustard.