Spinach Ravioli with Sautéed Veggies
This Spinach Ravioli with Sauteed Veggies is one of those fantastic pasta recipes for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
It uses store-bought spinach ricotta ravioli and a super quick homemade sauce packed with veggies! It's also extremely affordable feeding 4-5 people for just about $15.00.
For a starter consider my cream of mushroom soup or my potato and leek soup.
What Sauce to Serve with Ravioli?
- When picking a sauce for ravioli consider the ravioli filling. For this spinach ricotta ravioli, I like to do something on the lighter side otherwise I find the ravioli can be a bit heavy.
- This recipe has a wonderful mixture of sweet caramelized red onions, sauteed cherry tomatoes, wilted spinach, and fresh lemon zest.
- It creates a delicious combination of flavors that's perfect for the in-between season of winter into spring.
- Because it's hearty enough to serve as winter comfort food but the spinach, tomatoes, and lemon hint of spring and summer flavors to come!
Watch My Video Demo of This Recipe Below!
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe!
For another quick and easy Ravioli recipe try my Ricotta Cheese Ravioli with Pesto, Peas, and Spinach.
Step#1: Carmelize the Onions
Slice the red onions into half-moons. I like using red onions for this recipe because they are sweeter than white onions and they add some nice color to this recipe too.
Give the Red Onions a Head Start
- Sautee the red onions in a skillet with olive oil just until the onions are fragrant and caramelized.
- The onions take the longest so that's why I like to do this part first to give them a head start.
- The extra time makes them really sweet and delicious
Step#2: Sautee the Tomatoes
- This time of year when tomatoes aren't quite in season I like to use cherry tomatoes. They have so much more flavor off-season than regular tomatoes and you don't even have to cut them!
- For more great Cherry Tomato Recipes try my Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe or my Angel Hair Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes and Mozzarella Recipe.
- For even more tomato flavor you can also add 1-2 tablespoon of tomato paste to the sauce too, just add some hot pasta water to thin it out a bit afterward.
Adding More Flavor to the Cherry Tomatoes
- Cook the tomatoes long enough until they start to soften and wilt a bit then you'll add the lemon zest and juice which gives this recipe its great freshness.
- I also think the lemon is a nice flavor pairing against the ricotta filling of the ravioli.
- You could also use a splash of white wine too if you didn't have any lemons on hand.
Step#3: Wilt the Spinach
- The spinach is the last step, it doesn't take long and you don't need to cook it very long, just long enough so that it is wilted and reduced in volume.
- You'll use the whole bag which at first will feel like a ton of spinach.
- But once you cook it down it's the perfect amount. It's always so surprising how much spinach shrinks when you cook it! Then add a little salt and pepper to taste and your sauce is ready!
- I always like to make the sauce first anytime I'm cooking ravioli because the ravioli cooks up so quickly that you want to make sure your sauce is ready to go once the ravioli is ready.
- You could also make the sauce a day before and then reheat it while cooking the ravioli.
Step#4: Cook the Spinach Ravioli
- Cook the ravioli in boiling, salted water just until they rise to the top.
- Be careful not to overcook the ravioli otherwise, they will come undone in the boiling water and the ricotta filling will start to spill out.
Thicken the Sauce with Pasta Water
- At this stage you can also add a few ladles of the starchy pasta water to your sauce.
- This will loosen the sauce up a bit and create a nice thickened sauce due to the starch.
Step#5: Toss Ravioli and Garnish with Cheese
- Then all you have to do is top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and dinner is ready!
- Ravioli is pretty filling so I like to serve them family-style on a large white platter and that way everyone can serve themselves!
- You can also serve this dish with a green salad and crusty bread.
More Great Pasta Recipes!
- Cheese Ravioli with Creamy Pesto, Peas and Shallots
- Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo
- Creamy Sundried Tomato Pasta
- Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli
If You Enjoyed This Recipe
Please Leave a Rating and a Review Below!
Spinach Ravioli with Sautéed Veggies
This Spinach Ravioli with Sauteed Veggies is a fantastic pasta recipe for a quick and easy weeknight meal. It uses store-bought spinach and cheese ravioli and a super quick homemade sauce packed with veggies! It's also extremely affordable feeding 4-5 people for under $15.00.
- 2 (8oz) packages of Store-Bought Spinach Ravioli
- 2-4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Red Onion, sliced into half-moons
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon, zest, and juice
- 1 bag of prewashed, fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Saute red onions until soft. Add cherry tomatoes. Cook until they start to break down and release their juices.
- Meanwhile, set your ravioli to boil in well-salted water drizzled with a little olive oil (this will prevent the raviolis from sticking together).
- Return to your onion/tomato mixture and add lemon zest and lemon juice. Then add spinach in handfuls until wilted. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle a bit more olive oil over the mixture until well-coated (about 1 tbsp).
- Drain raviolis, and place 4-6 in a bowl, and top with the sauce.
The ravioli are done once they rise to the top of the boiling water. Do not overcook the ravioli or the ricotta cheese will seep out of the ravioli.
To loosen the sauce and make it a bit thicker ladle in some of the starchy pasta water.
This recipe makes great leftovers for the lunch box the next day!
For even more tomato flavor you can also add 1-2 tablespoon of tomato paste to the sauce too, just add some hot pasta water to thin it out a bit afterward.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 242mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g
To get my Easy Summer BBQ Menu!
I have tried so many of your recipes- they are all completely fabulous!!! Please please tell me they will a lil be together in a cookbook-lol!!
Ha! Oh I hope someday to put a cookbook together with all NEW recipes! Definitely on the bucket list! 🙂
Thanks Beth for your recipe. This is so delicious and easy to make. My whole family enjoyed it. Thank you very much.
I'm so glad to hear it! One of our favorites too! 🙂
This has been a family favorite. We like how easy it is and how delicious taste. We've tried it with all different types of ravioli too.
YAY! I'm so glad to hear that James! It's such a quick and yummy one at our house too 🙂
This was super easy and delicious!