It now officially soup season and I thought I’d lick things off with this little gem! My Cream of Mushroom Soup with Crispy Leeks. It’s a very simple soup recipe to make and comes together in under 30 minutes or less.
But the flavors are so heartwarming and earthy. Feels like a warm cozy blanket. I like to use the pre-sliced cremini mushrooms from Trader Joe’s because it makes this soup even easier! No slicing involved and it cuts down the prep time in half!
WATCH MY VIDEO DEMO OF THIS RECIPE BELOW!
But you could also use white button mushrooms and slice them yourself if needed.
Once you saute up the vegetables, you just need to blend it up. And seriously that’s it! It’s almost like a veggie smoothie it’s that easy!
You could leave your soup a bit chunky if you wish for a more rustic texture, but I prefer to take it all the way to a smooth puree.
Then the finishing touch is the delicious crispy leeks! Which are so easy to do. In fact, you could make the soup a day or so before, re-heat, and then all you would have to do is fry the leeks before serving.
The leeks make for a beautiful garnish and create such a lovely presentation. It’s also a great flavor combination against the earthy mushrooms.
Just be sure to slice the leeks into tiny strips. They work better that way as a garnish.
MORE GREAT SOUP RECIPES!
Please let me know if you make this Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe
by leaving a rating and review below
- 2 tbsp (30 g) butter or olive oil (30 ml)
- 2 leeks, white parts only, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup white onion (110 g) diced
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced
- 16 oz (453 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cream (fine to omit if making Vegan)
- 1 tsp thyme (5 ml) minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 leeks, white parts only cut into thirds and sliced into thin strips
- fresh thyme to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper
- In a large stock pot melt butter until foamy, add the 2 chopped leeks, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until soft and tender.
- Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms release their juices. Add thyme. Add chicken stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend in batches until smooth.
- Transfer soup into a cleaned-out stock pot. Add cream. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil on medium high in a large skillet. Add leeks and sauté until golden brown and crispy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with freshly grated pepper and thyme leaves and a pile of crispy leeks on top. Yummy!!
This soup also freezes beautifully! Allow it to cool completely, then place in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat place in the microwave on high until warmed through
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g