If you are looking for ways to fight off winter’s chill, then this soup is your ticket! This Roasted Tomato and Eggplant Soup is a little bite of summer in the middle of winter.
WATCH MY VIDEO DEMO OF THIS RECIPE HERE!
Roasting the tomatoes brings out their sweetness and intensifies their flavor and roasting the eggplant gives you this really nice smokey flavor in the background.
Top with fresh basil and garlicky croutons and you have such a fantastic mix of flavors!
I think the best bread for the croutons is a day old baguette. In fact you can cut them into 1 inch cubes and pop the whole batch in the freezer to make small batch of croutons whenever you need them.
I also think the secret to getting the right texture of this soup, somewhere between smooth and slightly chunky is an immersion blender (this link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
LOOKING FOR MORE SOUP RECIPES?
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a rating and review below
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 6 Roma tomatoes, sliced in half lengthways
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) dried oregano, separated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 32 oz (960 ml) of vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh basil
- 2 cups (480 ml) 1 inch bread cubes from a baguette
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ (1.25 ml) tsp Herbs de Provence
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- In a medium bowl toss bread cubes with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and Herbs de Provence. Transfer to a baking tray, spreading out cubes to a single layer and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C).
- Prepare 2 rimmed-lined baking sheets. On one sheet place the eggplant and the other place the tomatoes and garlic.
- On each tray, drizzle 1 tbsp (15 ml) of olive oil, ¼ tsp (1.25ml) oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
- Place both trays in the oven on different racks and roast for 10 minutes. Then flip the trays and roast for 10 minutes more.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a large stock pot. Add vegetable broth and tomatoes paste. Simmer for 10 mins. Then blend with an emersion blender until smooth, with small chunks remaining. You can also do this in a blender.
- Ladle out soup into bowls, top with fresh basil and croutons.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 302 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 954mg Carbohydrates: 48g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 9g Protein: 9g