This Easy White Chicken Chili Recipe is the perfect start to a new year! It’s one of my favorite healthy recipes because it’s so comforting. You don’t feel like you are missing out on anything! It’s also a great one for the lunchbox the next day!
How to Make White Chicken Chili?
STEP#1: Roast The Chicken
Place 2 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts on a rack and roast at 350F (175C) until golden brown and cooked through. About 30 mins.
Allow to cool at room temperature while you prep the rest of the recipe.
Then, remove the skin and shred the chicken into bit sized pieces with two forks.
TIP: You can make this recipe even easier by using store-bought rotisserie chicken
STEP#2: Add the veggies and chicken broth
Sauté the onions in olive oil in a dutch oven until soft and fragrant.
Then add the cannellini beans. Just be sure they are rinsed and drained first.
Pour in the chicken stock and add the bag of frozen corn.
TIP: If you can find the charred corn at Trader Joe’s it’s really great! You’ll get a a subtle smokey flavor from it and it looks so pretty in the chili too.
What spices do you put in white chicken chili?
I think the best combination of spices for are cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and dried oregano.
How to Thicken White Chicken Chili?
I think the best way to thicken this chili is with an immersion blender since the beans are starchy enough to give it a nice texture once blended. But you could also do this in a regular blender too, just don’t puree it up all the way. Leave it a bit chunky.
TIP: If you want a thicker chili you could mix 2 tbsp of cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water to create a slurry. Bring the chili to a boil, then add the slurry stirring and simmering until thickened.
STEP#3: Add Chilis and Shredded Chicken
I like to use canned green chilis simply because it’s easier, but if you wanted to roast your own you certainly could! Jalapeños or Serranos would be great.
TIP: When buying the canned chilis look for the ones marked “fire-roasted”. I think these have the best flavor and will provide a little extra heat too.
STEP#4: Add the Toppings!
You can top your chili with a sprig of fresh cilantro and a few slices of Avocado.
TIP: Slice the avocado in the skin and scoop out with a large serving spoon. This will create uniform slices you can fan out on top of the chili.
I love serving chili in these beautiful handmade mini cazuelas. I found them online and they are so beautifully made. Definitely worth the investment (this link goes to Amazon where I am compensated on products sold with no additional cost to the consumer).
Top with baked tortilla strips and serve with fresh lime.
TIP: The tortilla strips bake really well in an air fryer if you have one! Or you can also bake them in the oven (recipe follows below)
What to Serve with White Chicken Chili?
I think the best thing to serve with white chicken chili is cornbread. I highly recommend my Cheesy Chivey Cornbread recipe if you haven’t tried it!
It bakes in a cheesecake pan which allows you to cut it into thick wedges. It also makes a lovely presentation in a breadbasket.
More Healthy Soup Recipes!
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU MAKE THIS WHITE CHICKEN CHILI RECIPE
BY LEAVING A RATING AND REVIEW BELOW!
- (2) Chicken Breasts, Bone-In Skin On
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (300g) yellow onion, diced
- 8 cups (1,900ml) chicken broth
- 1 15-oz (430g) can cannellini beans
- 1-1lb (450g) bag frozen corn, charred if you can find it
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) salt 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tsp (15ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5ml) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5ml) smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces (113g) fire roasted green chilies
- 2 tbsp (30ml) cilantro, chopped
- Cilantro sprigs
- Avocado slices
- Baked Tortilla strips (see below)
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Place chicken breasts on a rack fitted into a rimmed lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Allow to cool.
- In a large Dutch oven, add oil heat until hot, then add onion and cook until onions are fragrant and translucent.
- Add broth, beans, corn, salt, garlic, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook until corn and beans are warmed through.
- Blend slightly with an immersion blender until pureed but still chunky.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks and add to pot. Add chilies and continue to simmer until chicken is warmed through. Add cilantro.
- To serve ladle out chili in a bowl, top with a fresh cilantro sprig, sliced avocado, and toasted corn tortilla strips. Serve with lime wedges.
- For Tortilla Strips. Slice 2-3 corn tortillas in thin strips. Place in air fryer 5-7 minutes or bake at (375F/190C) for 10 minutes on a baking sheet in the oven.
Use store-bought rotisserie chicken to make this recipe even easier!
When buying the canned chilis look for the ones marked "fire roasted" those have the best flavor and provide a little extra heat too.
When garnishing the chili, slice the avocado in the skin and scoop out with a large serving spoon. This will create nice slices you can fan out on top of the chili.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 902Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 509mgCarbohydrates: 140gFiber: 32gSugar: 10gProtein: 60g