This Potato Cheddar Bacon Soup Recipe is the perfect comfort food for cold weather cooking! It’s one of the simplest soups to make and will last throughout the week.
How To Make a Potato Cheddar Bacon Soup Recipe in 6 Easy Steps!
This soup is so easy to whip up on a weeknight, you’ll be making it all winter long…it’s THAT good!
STEP#1: Dice and fry the Bacon
Cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces then fry it in a dutch oven until crispy. I find the bacon fat is enough to fry the bacon in, no need to add any additional fat.
STEP#2: Cook Veggies
Next sauté some onions and celery until soft and fragrant
STEP#3: Add Potatoes
Just be sure they are cut into cubes, the same size so that they will cook at the same rate. I like to use russet potatoes for this recipe.
STEP#4: Add Chicken Broth
You could use vegetable broth too, but I find the chicken broth will give you more flavor
Once the potatoes are tender you can blend the soup up on high until smooth.
Then place it back in the pot to re-heat.
STEP#6: Add the Cheese, Chives and Bacon
Et voila! The most delicious Potato Cheddar Bacon Soup is yours!
As far as soup recipes go, this one is hands down, my favorite. It’s like a warm, cozy blanket that’s sure to soothe the body and soul.
LOOKING FOR MORE SOUP RECIPES?
- 5 slices of bacon, cut into ½” (13 mm) strips
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 ½ (225 g) cup onion
- ¾ cup (110 g) celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken broth
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1” (2.5cm) cubes
- ¾ cup (180 ml) sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chives, minced
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until golden brown and crispy. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain. Set aside.
- In a large clean Dutch oven, heat olive oil. Add onion, celery and garlic and cook until fragrant and fork tender. Add chicken broth. Add potatoes. Cover and simmer for 15 mins or until potatoes are soft.
- Transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer back into the Dutch oven and add cheese, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve ladle into shallow bowls, top with minced chives and crispy bacon.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 293 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 632mg Carbohydrates: 28g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 15g