These delicious Easy Smashed Potatoes are a great addition to your side dish repertoire! They are easy enough for a weeknight meal, but also elegant enough for weekend entertaining!
How Do You Make Smashed Potatoes?
Making smashed potatoes is a simple process that involves boiling the potatoes first, smashing them with a potato masher or meat mallet, drizzling them with olive oil, seasoning with salt and pepper and then baking until crispy.
The final stage involves brushing them with garlic butter and garnishing with fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese. How can that be bad, right?! Ha!
FAIR WARNING: These are seriously addictive!
Watch My Video Demo of this Video Below!
(includes demo on my Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes too!)
STEP#1: Boil Red Potatoes
You’ll want to use a waxy potato like a red potato. The waxy potatoes hold their shape better than the starchy potatoes (i.e russets etc) and their waxiness helps them stay together once baked.
Boil the potatoes until they are tender and then be sure to pat them dry.
Tip: Patting the potatoes dry with a paper towel, assures your potatoes will crisp up in the oven and don’t steam up.
STEP#2: Place Potatoes on Baking Sheet
Be sure to allow room for your potatoes to spread out since they will take up more room once they are smashed and it’s harder to reposition them once you have smashed them.
STEP#3: Smash Potatoes
Gently press down on the tender potato with a potato masher.
This is the stage when you’ll be happy you let your potatoes boil to the fork tender stage!
The potato will crumble a bit but just push them back together to form a circle. They will stick back together once they bake in the oven.
Tip: If you don’t have a potato masher you can also use a meat mallet
This will create a “flat” smashed potato.
Personally, I prefer the potato masher because I think it creates prettier smashed potatoes.
You’ll get those ridges of potato where the olive oil will fall and crisp up the nooks and crannies.
STEP#4: Add Olive Oil and Season
Drizzle olive oil on top of each potato and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place the potatoes in the oven to bake at 425F for 20 minutes.
How Do You Make Crispy Smashed Potatoes?
Butter is really the secret behind a crispy and flavorful smashed potato!
STEP#5: Add the Garlic Butter
Once your potatoes have completed the 20 minutes of initial baking time. You’ll take them out of the oven and brush each one with garlic butter, including the sides.
Don’t skimp on the butter! It’s really what creates the crispiest, more flavorful smashed potato.
Then they’ll go back in the oven for 5-7 minutes and they’ll be shinny and crispy and oh so delicious!
- At this stage you can keep the potatoes in the oven, but turn down the heat to 200F to keep warm before serving
- They just get better the longer they sit
- But I wouldn’t go over 30 minutes or they’ll get too crispy and will loose the fluffy insides
STEP#6: Garnish with parsley and parmesan
Just before serving sprinkle the potatoes with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese
These potatoes pair perfectly with my White Wine Chicken Recipe, making for a wonderful Sunday Night Dinner!
For a step-by-step tutorial of this recipe watch my video below!
More Sunday Night Dinner Ideas!
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE BY LEAVING A RATING AND REVIEW BELOW!
Smashed potato recipe with garlic, parmesan and parsley. The perfect side dish for a Sunday night dinner. Pairs beautifully with Chicken, Pork or Beef.
- 16 oz (450 g) red baby potatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) melted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- a sprinkle of fleur de sel sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C)
- Boil potatoes until soft and tender. Drain and pat dry.
- Place potatoes on a rimmed lined cookie sheet and press each one down, gently, with a potato masher. It’s OK if they crumble a bit a fall apart, just bring the crumbs together to form a cohesive disk, they will come together once roasted.
- Drizzle olive oil over smashed potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk melted butter with minced garlic clove. Set aside.
- After potatoes have roasted for 20 minutes, pull the tray out and with a pastry brush, gently brush each potato with the melted butter mixture and place the tray back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Then remove potatoes with a spatula and place in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle with some fleur de sel sea salt. Add the chopped parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Red Potatoes (or Yukon Golds) work best for this recipe because of their waxy texture. Stay away from starchy potatoes like russets since they’ll fall apart too easily.
- Be sure to pat your boiled potatoes really dry. A dry potato will crisp up much better than one that is wet, which will steam up.
- You can also use a meat mallet to smash your potatoes, you’ll just get a flatter potato
- Once the potatoes are done, you can keep them warm in a 200F oven before serving. They just get better the longer they sit in there. But I wouldn’t go over 30 minutes.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Smashed Potatoes, How to Create a Crispy Smashed Potato, The Best Smashed Potato Recipe