This Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Baby Broccoli is one of my favorite pasta recipes because it has everything going for it. The kick of the spicy sausage, the freshness of the baby broccoli and of course lots of freshly grated parmesan cheese.
It’s a perfect pasta dish to add to your weekly rotation!
WATCH MY VIDEO DEMO OF THIS RECIPE BELOW!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more recipe videos! (it’s free!)
STEP#1: Boil Pasta
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil pasta according to package instructions. Cook the pasta until al dente.
TIP: If you can’t find orecchiette pasta you could also use macaroni, penne or fusilli pasta.
STEP#2: Cook the Sausage
Remove the sweet Italian sausage from its casings.
TIP: If serving this to children I use the sweet Italian sausage and serve red pepper flakes on the side. Since this dish is really great with a little bit of a kick.
But if spiciness is not an issue, then use the hot Italian sausage.
Cook the sausage in a little olive oil on medium high heat, cutting it up with a wooden spoon and browning on all sides.
Remove sausage with a slotted spoon once it’s cooked through. Allow it to drain on paper towels.
STEP#3: Make the Sauce
Deglaze the pan with wine, and simmer until slightly reduced. Add the chicken broth and reduce by 1/3.
Add in sausage and baby broccoli cook broccoli just for 1-2 mins until bright green.
This time of year you can find the baby broccoli in the markets and I love to use it for weeknight meals because it cooks up so quickly and can also be easier for the little ones to chew.
But if you can’t find the baby broccoli you certainly could use regular broccoli too!
STEP#4: Toss with Pasta
Add cooked pasta to sausage and broccoli. Turn to coat with sauce. Add freshly grated parmesan cheese and turn to coat.
Transfer pasta to a large serving bowl, top with a little more cheese and freshly chopped Italian parsley and red pepper flakes (if using mild Italian sausage).
You can serve your cheese in this beautiful wooden cheese grater found in my shop (this link goes to Amazon where I am compensated on products sold at no cost to the consumer)
Such a lovely piece to bring to the table along side of the pasta!
I hope you enjoy this Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and broccoli! You’ll find it also makes for great leftovers the next day!
MORE PASTA RECIPES!
- Easy Baked Mac and Cheese
- Homemade Lasagna
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Brown Butter Sauce and Sage
- Spinach Ravioli with Sautéed Veggies
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a rating and review below!
- 1 lb (450g) Orecchiette Pasta
- 2 tsp (10 ml) olive oil
- 1 lb (450g) Italian Pork Sausage (mild or hot) removed from their casings
- 3 cups (700ml) baby broccoli, or broccolini or rapini
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white wine
- 2 cups (480ml) chicken broth
- ½ cup (45g) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Italian parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Boil pasta according to package instructions.
- In a large sauté pan heat olive oil, cook sausage, cutting up with a wooden spoon and browning on all sides. Cook until cooked through.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Pour oil out of pan, but leave any drippings in the pan.
- Deglaze pan with wine, simmer until slightly reduced add chicken broth and reduce by 1/3.
- Add in sausage and baby broccoli cook broccoli just for 1-2 mins until bright green.
- Drain pasta, add pasta to sausage and broccoli. Turn to coat with sauce. Add cheese and turn to coat.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl, top with a little more cheese and freshly chopped Italian parsley and red pepper flakes (if using mild Italian sausage)
- Makes for great leftovers!
If you can't find orecchiette pasta you could also use macaroni, penne or fusilli pasta.
If serving this to children I use the sweet Italian sausage and serve red pepper flakes on the side. Since this dish is really great with a little bit of a kick. But if spiciness is not an issue, then use the hot Italian sausage.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 238 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 293mg Carbohydrates: 19g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 12g