Learn how to make my Recipe for Shrimp Rolls New England Style, complete with split top bun. The perfect hot weather meal for summer entertaining.
I grew up in New England and summers for me always meant lobster rolls down by the beach. But here in L.A. good lobster can be hard to find, at an affordable price, so instead I find my New England Style Shrimp Rolls are the next best thing!
How do you make this Recipe for Shrimp Rolls?
This shrimp roll recipe is super easy to follow. Essentially, you’ll roast the shrimp to bring out its best flavor. Then mix up the dressing, add some celery, shallots and dill and then combine it all together to form the most delicious shrimp salad concoction.
But a critical component to this shrimp roll recipe is of course the split top buns, which are a bit of a unicorn here on the West Coast. No seriously, they don’t exist. Not anywhere! It’s the strangest thing I’ve come across, being an “east coat” transplant, the complete absence of a split top bun. Why is that? I’m sure Westerners would love them as much as New Englanders do, but atlas to no avail.
So I found a source online that sells them. (this ink goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner) They are also known as “hot dog buns” so don’t be confused. I buy a big batch of them and then freeze them 🙂 Yes they are pricey, yes a tad inconvenient. But when you bite into the buttery, crispy roll that is as light as a feather, you’ll agree it was worth the effort.
What to serve with shrimp rolls?
This recipe pairs beautifully with my summer corn salad recipe. A match made in heaven! And for dessert (to continue the New England theme) go for my plum crumble. And a fabulous summer dinner awaits! 🙂
WATCH MY SHRIMP ROLLS RECIPE VIDEO BELOW
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!) and new videos post each Saturday!
Please let me know if you make these New England style shrimp rolls recipe by leaving a rating and review below.
- 2 lb shrimp (900 g), shelled, deveined, tails on and butterflied
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup (120 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- ½ cup (120 ml) celery, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp dill, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Split top hotdog buns
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Butterfly shrimp by slicing shrimp down their backs ¾ of the way. Shrimp halves should stay intact.
- Toss with 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Roast in the oven for 5 mins each side, or until pink and opaque. Allow to cool. Remove tails. And roughly chop shrimp into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, zest and juice, celery, shallots, dill, salt and pepper. Reserve 3 tbsp (45 ml) in a small bowl, and then toss the rest with the shrimp. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Moments before serving, brush outsides of split top buns with butter, grill each side until golden brown.
- Add reserve dressing to shrimp and toss to re-freshen. Scoop shrimp salad into buns and serve immediately