I love this easy plum crumble recipe because it’s so delicious and a bit unexpected. It’s tart and sweet and topped with the most delicious crumble! You’ll also love how portable it is too! Plums are at their best right now and if you are looking for a dessert to bring to a summer BBQ, this is the ticket!
If you can’t find plums you can also try my easy Summer Fruits Crumble recipe instead, it uses peaches, nectarines and blackberries!
WATCH A PREVIEW OF THIS EASY PLUM CRUMBLE BELOW!
Full Video Demo is in the Recipe Card
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!)
How do you make this Easy Plum Crumble Recipe?
Fruit crumbles are so easy to make! Essentially, you slice your fruit, toss with sugar and flour, place the crumble on top and bake! It’s really that simple!
STEP#1: Slice the Plums
Pit and slice the plums into quarters. I leave the skin on because it’s the part of the plum that adds the tartness, and the combination between the sweet flesh and the tart skin is really wonderful once baked!
Which Plums are Best for Plum Crumble?
You can use regular Black Friar Plums which has the yellow flesh inside or red plums. I love the deep red color of the Satsuma Plums or the Simcas. But I’ll often do a mix of both, that way you get two different flavors and colors. The bright red color the red-fleshed plums bring such a fantastic summery color to this crumble!
In my garden, I grow Santa Rosa plums which have an amber flesh, and once I get enough of them, I throw of few Santa Rosas in too!
In fact, if the plums aren’t labeled properly at the market it can be hard to know what you are buying until you cut into them. So if you really want the red ones, ask the produce department to verify they are in fact the variety you think they are, typically they’ll even slice one open and allow you to taste it too!
Step#2: Toss the Plums with Sugar and Flour
Even if your plums are sweet, it’s best to still toss them with sugar. The sugar is what will take the juice of the plums and turn it into a rich syrup. Without the sugar your crumble will be too runny. The flour then helps to thicken the syrup so you have a wonderful sauce to mix with the ice cream once it’s baked.
STEP#3: Transfer to a Baking Dish
Place the plums in an oven-to-tale baking dish. It helps to pat the plums down in the dish so that you have a level surface to place the crumble upon.
STEP#4: Add the Crumble
Be sure to distribute the crumble well across the top of the dish, so that each person gets enough crumble in their scoop! I like to add chopped pecans to my crumble but you also could use almonds or walnuts too!
If you are looking to turn this recipe into a plum cobbler than follow the base for this recipe and top with the cobbler recipe from my Peach Cobbler recipe. That would be great too!
Can you make this Easy Plum Crumble Recipe ahead of time?
Yes! The best part about a crumble is the fact that you can assemble the whole thing ahead of time and just pop in your fridge. Then when you sit down to dinner, pop it in the oven and bake.
That way once dinner is over you’ll have a hot bubbling crumble ready to serve to your guests. This pairs really well with some high-quality vanilla ice cream and yes, this would be the time to spring for the Haagen-Dazs!
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY!
Please let me know if you make this easy plum crumble recipe
by leaving a rating and review below
- 5 lbs (2,250 g) firm, red plums, pitted and quartered
- ½ cup (100g) of sugar
- 1/3 cup (40g) flour
- Crumb Topping
- 1 cup (120 g) of flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 4 tbsp (58g) brown sugar
- ½ (2.5 ml) tsp salt
- ¾ tsp (3.5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 cup (150g) of chopped pecans
- ½ cup (120g) of melted butter
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C)
- Toss plums with sugar and flour and set aside.
- For crumble, mix all ingredients together with a fork until a wet crumble forms.
- Pour plum mixture into a 14 x 9 greased oven safe casserole dish. Sprinkle the crumble evenly on top.
- NOTE: At this point you could cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. This is a great dessert to make the day before and just bake while you are having dinner, and present to the table right out of the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until top is golden brown and juices begin to bubble.
- Serve warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. Happy Summer! Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Zeroll 1020 Original Ice Cream Unique Liquid Filled Heat Conductive Handle Simple One Piece Aluminum Design Easy Release 40 Scoops per, 2-Ounce, Silver
- Wusthof Classic 7-piece Slim Knife Block Set (Acacia)
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)
- John Boos Block RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 24 Inches x 18 Inches x 2.25 Inches
- Le Creuset PG0400-3667 Heritage Stoneware Oval Au Gratin Dish, 3.1-Quart, Cerise
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g