Learn how to make my Avocado Shrimp Cup Recipe. This is an easy dinner idea for summer entertaining or spring holidays and the best part is it can be made in advance!
There are times during the summer when I want to entertain, but quickly realize “It’s too hot to cook!” That’s when I turned to my Avocado Shrimp Cup recipe served in avocado shells.
It’s such an easy recipe that can also be made hours ahead, making you look like a domestic goddess when you bring these to the table.
How do you bake shrimp?
I think the easiest way to bake shrimp is in the oven. You can bake them at 375F for just a few minutes until pink and cooked through.
I also think it helps to keep the tails on while baking, to keep the shrimp moist.
How do you make an avocado cup?
Avocado cups are so easy to do! And you can fill them with all sorts of things. Just be sure they are soft and ripe since they are easier to handle and scoop out.
All you do is cut the avocado in half, remove the pit with a chef’s knife and then scoop out the avocado with a large serving spoon.
What ingredients go in an avocado shrimp salad?
I think the best combination is sour cream and mayonnaise, dill, lemon zest and juice and then a combination of tomatoes and cucumbers (recipe follows below).
Garnish with fresh dill, and an edible flower (nasturtiums are my favorite for the bright colors and peppery flavor!) but you can also find edible pansies in your produce aisle of the supermarket this time of year, usually in the fresh herb section. But do only buy them from a grocery store (not a plant store!) to assure they are safe to eat 🙂
The best part about this recipe is it’s a great idea for a starter (which pairs very well with my Chicken Brochettes and Zucchini Salad I might add) but also works great as a main course as well.
Oh and for dessert? I’d go with my Pluot Sundaes, a fruit that’s at its peak right now and you’ll start to see them in your grocery store! So yummy! (and SO easy too!)
HAPPY SUMMER everybody! xx
MORE GREAT SUMMER RECIPES!
Please let me know if you make this Avocado Shrimp Cup Recipe by leaving a rating and review below
- 1 lb (450g) of Shrimp
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sour cream
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) lemon zest
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh dill, minced + more for garnish
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) cucumber, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml), radish, diced
- 2 ripe avocados, cut into chunks, shells reserved
- Preheat Oven to 375F/(190C)
- Place shrimp on a rimed sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 7 mins until pink and cooked through. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice, fresh dill, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Dice shrimp into small cubes and transfer to a large bowl. Add the diced tomatoes, cucumbers and radish.
- Moments before serving, slice the avocado in half, length wise. Scoop out the avocado with a large spoon. Cut avocado into small chunks, add to the large bowl of shrimp and veggies.
- Toss the dressing with the shrimp and veggies. Spoon the salad back into the Avocado Shells, place two cups filled with the salad on a plate, top with freshly cracked pepper and a fresh sprig of dill and place an editable flower on the side.
- Serve as a light dinner or lunch, or it’s also great as a first course too!
To prepare ahead of time you can roast the shrimp and cut it, along with cutting the other veggies. Toss them in a bowl together and then cover and refrigerate.
You can also prep the dressing as well. Store in a separate bowl, cover and refrigerate.