A Lobster Thermidor Recipe is a classic that deserves to be in your repertoire. It’s elegant and fancy and oh so delicious!
It’s the perfect “special occasion” dish that will impress just about anybody! It’s a great one for Christmas Eve or even Christmas Day.
What to serve with Lobster Thermidor?
Watch My Lobster Thermidor Video Tutorial Below!
How do you make a classic Lobster Thermidor Recipe?
Lobster Thermidor is actually pretty easy to make. You’ll begin by roasting your lobster tails (I think you get the best flavor that way) then extract the meat and save the shells.
Then you’ll sauté up some vegetables, add some sherry and reduce. You’ll create a roux and add some fish stock, cook until a smooth sauce develops, add back in your veggies, lobster, heavy cream and seasonings, spoon into the lobster shells, top with cheese broil and serve!
This is such a fancy dish to make at home, your guests will oooh and ahhh as soon as you bring it to the table!
MORE SEAFOOD RECIPES!
- Bouche a la Reine with Lobster
- Easy Shrimp Stir Fry
- New England Shrimp Rolls
- Shrimp, Mango and Avocado Salad
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a rating and review below
- 2 8-0z Lobster Tails
- 1 tsp olive oil (5 ml)
- 1 tbsp butter (15 g)
- 2 shallots
- ½ cup (75 g) sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of sweet sherry
- 2 tbsp (30 g) butter
- 2 tbsp (15 g) flour
- ¾ cup (180 ml) of fish stock
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh tarragon
- 2 tbsp (11 g) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salad Dressing:
- 1 tsp (5 ml) mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp (90ml) grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 minced shallot
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F (200 C).
- Cut lobster tails up the center to expose the meat, with kitchen shears. Drizzle with olive oil. Place on a rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 mins until lobster meat is cooked through.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tbsp of butter in a large sautee pan, then add shallots and cook until translucent, add mushrooms and cook until they release their juices. Add sherry, and cook until reduced by a third. About 2 mins.
- At this point you could allow mixture to cool, refrigerate and store up to 2 days until ready to use.
- Cut the rest of the lobster's underside tail shell, to remove and expose the full shell and remove the cooked meat. Remove the meat and save the shells for presentation. Roughly chop the meat into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tbsp of butter until foamy, add the flour and mix with a spoon until a smooth paste forms. Then slowly add the fish stock, whisking until a smooth sauce develops. Then add the mushroom mixture, and the heavy cream. Cook for 1 mins until thickened. Add the salt, pepper and tarragon. Then add the cooked lobster.
- Spoon the mixture back into the shells, top with cheese and broil until cheese and mixture bubbles.
- Serve in the shells, along with a tossed salad and crisp glass of Sancerre wine. Bon Appétit!
- For salad Dressing: In a small bowl combine mustard and vinegar.
- Then slowly whisk in the oil, a little at a time, whisking all the while until an emulsion forms and dressing is combined.
- Add shallot and salt and pepper. Toss with greens!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 641Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 331mgSodium: 1221mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 95g