This Strawberry Cobbler Recipe with Heart Shaped Biscuits is a charming strawberry dessert recipe to make for Valentine's Day.
As far as strawberry desserts go, it's one of the easiest! If you are looking for quick dessert recipes you can't go wrong with a cobbler. And when served over strawberry ice cream, it's a wonderful combination of flavors and textures!
Watch a Video Demo of this recipe below!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe!
Strawberries may not be at the height of their season, even here in California, but if you roast them with a little vanilla paste and sugar and drizzle them over some high-quality, strawberry ice cream (yep, splurge for the Hagen-Daz) they are sublime!
What is a cobbler dessert?
A cobbler dessert is any fruit-based dessert that is baked in a large baking dish and covered with a biscuit, cake batter, or dumpling. They are a popular quick dessert recipe to serve in the summertime when the fruit is plentiful and no one wants to spend all day in the kitchen.
The best part of this recipe is the light and flakey biscuits, similar to the texture of my Strawberry Scone Recipe. When serving this for Valentine's Day I like to cut them out in a heart shape, really adds to the charm. Enjoy!
Bake the Cobber in a Cast-Iron Skillet
I like to use a cast-iron skillet because it creates nice even heat and the fruit gets nice and syrupy in the process. It also makes it easy to serve oven-to-table once it's done.
Once your fruit is leveled out, you can make the biscuits and place them on top. You could do drop biscuits, round biscuits or pick a shape for special holidays. Hearts are cute for Valentines' Day, but you could also use stars for Memorial Day or the 4th of July.
Give your biscuit room to expand since they do puff up a bit in the oven. I also like to brush each one with some heavy cream before baking to allow them to develop a nice shine.
You could also prepare the cobbler in advance and then place the skillet in the refrigerator. Then when you sit down to dinner place it in the oven to bake.
For more easy strawberry dessert recipes try these recipes below!
- 8 cups (1200 g) strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tbsp (15 g) butter, diced into small cubes
For Heart Biscuits:
- 1 ¼ cups (150 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (12 g) sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) lemon zest
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 8 tbsp (120g) cold butter, diced into cubes
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) heavy cream + more for brushing tops
- 1 egg
- Raw Sugar
- 1 quart high-quality Strawberry Ice Cream (like Hagen-Daaz)
- Preheat oven to 350F (176F)
- In a large bowl combine strawberries, sugar, salt and vanilla bean paste. Toss to combine and transfer to a large 10 or 12-inch (25 or 30cm) skillet, patting down strawberries so they create a flat level surface. Tuck in 1 tbsp (15 g) of butter that has been cut into small cubes and distribute under the berries. and set aside.
- Then in a food processor pulse together flour, sugar, salt, lemon zest, and baking powder. Add butter pulsing all the while until a coarse meal develops. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Then in a Pyrex pitcher combine heavy cream and egg, whisk to combine.
- Then create a well in the center of your flour mixture and pour the egg/cream mixture into it, and then stir with a wooden spoon until a dough develops.
- Then with floured hands, grab dough and transfer to a floured surface. Roll out to ½ (13 mm) inch thick and cut into 8 heart shapes with a heart shaped cookie cutter.
- Place hearts facing out, creating a decorative circle and leave room in the center for the 8th heart.
- Brush hearts with heavy cream and top with a sprinkle of raw sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 mins until strawberries are bubbling and biscuits are golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly for 10 minutes to allow sauce to thicken a bit.
- Then scoop out 2-3 small scoops of strawberry ice cream, place in a shallow bowl, spoon strawberry sauce over the ice cream and then top with a biscuit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 157mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g