Learn how to make strawberry cobbler. If your Valentine’s Day involves entertaining for a crowd, then my Strawberry Cobbler with Heart Shaped Biscuits will do just that!
Strawberries may not be at the height of their season, even here in California, but if you roast them with a little vanilla paste and sugar and drizzle of over some high-quality, strawberry ice cream (yep, splurge for the Hagen-Daz) they are sublime!
What is a cobbler dessert?
A cobbler dessert is any fruit based dessert that is baked in a large baking dish and covered with a biscuit, cake batter or dumpling. They are popular desserts to serve in the summertime when fruit is plentiful and we all are looking for easy desserts!
The best part of this recipe are the light and flakey biscuits, similar to the texture of a scone. When serving this for Valentine’s Day I like to cut them out in a heart shape, really adds to the charm. Enjoy!
How do you make a fruit cobbler?
A fruit cobbler is made by combining your fruit of choice with sugar, flour, sometimes lemon juice and spices and pouring this mixture into a greased casserole dish.
Once your fruit is leveled out, you can make the biscuits and place them on top. You could do drop biscuits, round biscuits or pick a shape for a special holidays. Hearts are cute for Valentines Day, but you could also use stars for Memorial Day or 4th of July.
WATCH MY STRAWBERRY COBBLER VIDEO BELOW!
CLICK HERE to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! It’s free!
Please let me know if you make my recipe for how to make strawberry cobbler by leaving a rating and review below
- 8 cups (1200 g) strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tbsp (15 g) butter, diced into small cubes
For Heart Biscuits:
- 1 ¼ cups (150 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (12 g) sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) lemon zest
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 8 tbsp (120g) cold butter, diced into cubes
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) heavy cream + more for brushing tops
- 1 egg
- Raw Sugar
- 1 quart high-quality Strawberry Ice Cream (like Hagen-Daaz)
- Preheat oven to 350F (176F)
- In a large bowl combine strawberries, sugar, salt and vanilla bean paste. Toss to combine and transfer to a large 10 or 12-inch (25 or 30cm) skillet, patting down strawberries so they create a flat level surface. Tuck in 1 tbsp (15 g) of butter that has been cut into small cubes and distribute under the berries. and set aside.
- Then in a food processor pulse together flour, sugar, salt, lemon zest, and baking powder. Add butter pulsing all the while until a coarse meal develops. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Then in a Pyrex pitcher combine heavy cream and egg, whisk to combine.
- Then create a well in the center of your flour mixture and pour the egg/cream mixture into it, and then stir with a wooden spoon until a dough develops.
- Then with floured hands, grab dough and transfer to a floured surface. Roll out to ½ (13 mm) inch thick and cut into 8 heart shapes with a heart shaped cookie cutter.
- Place hearts facing out, creating a decorative circle and leave room in the center for the 8th heart.
- Brush hearts with heavy cream and top with a sprinkle of raw sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 mins until strawberries are bubbling and biscuits are golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly for 10 minutes to allow sauce to thicken a bit.
- Then scoop out 2-3 small scoops of strawberry ice cream, place in a shallow bowl, spoon strawberry sauce over the ice cream and then top with a biscuit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 74mg Sodium: 157mg Carbohydrates: 34g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g