Learn how to make an easy crab cake recipe with apple slaw and remoulade sauce. A great Sunday night dinner idea! Includes video tutorial below.
Once spring is in the air, one of my favorite Sunday night dinner ideas, is a platter of Crab Cakes topped with remoulade sauce and served with apple slaw. It’s a great mix of flavors that can’t be beat.
WATCH MY STEP-BY-STEP VIDEO DEMO OF THIS RECIPE BELOW!
This recipe is great for a dinner for two or makes a great starter for four. If you own an air fryer these are even easier! They fry up in less than 20 minutes and requires NO OIL. This is my favorite brand of air fryer. (This link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
These do take a little prep, I won’t lie, but none of it is hard and the results are well worth the effort! If you want perfectly sliced matchsticks for the apple slaw I highly recommend using a Mandoline. This model is a good “entry level” model if you don’t want to spend too much.
How do you make crab cakes?
Crab cakes are super simple to put together and make for a great weekend project. You’ll first begin by combining crab meat with mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and lemon juice (recipe follows below)
Then I like to assure they are each the same size for a pretty presentation and even cooking. This is easy to do in a 1/4 or 1/3 cup measuring cup depending upon the size of crab cake you desire.
Then you’ll roll the crab cakes in bread crumbs, I really like to use the panko bread crumbs since they provide a nice crunch.
What kind of sauce to serve with crab cakes?
The best kind of sauce to serve with crab cakes is a remoulade sauce. It’s a simple sauce made with mayonnaise, grain mustard, horseradish, pickle juice and paprika (recipe below). You can also add things like capers and fresh herbs if you choose as well.
How long do you cook crab cakes in an Airfryer?
It can depend slightly on the model of airfryer you have, but a good place to start is to set the fryer at 360F and go for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Another great thing to make in an Air Fryer are homemade pita chips! So easy, crunchy and delicious!
What do you serve with crab cakes?
Since crab cakes can be a bit heavy, I like to serve a simple apple slaw with this crab cake recipe. The apples look really beautiful when sliced with a mandoline, but you can also use a knife.
I like to use a granny smith apple because the tartness is a great flavor combination against the richness of the crab cake and the remoulade sauce. Hope you enjoy!
TRY THESE OTHER GREAT SPRING RECIPES!
Please let me know if you make this Easy Crab Cake Recipe by leaving a rating and review below
FOR CRAB CAKES:
- 8 oz (230 g) Crab Meat
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10 ml) mustard
- 1 ½ tsp (7.25ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) of hot sauce
- ½-1 tsp (2.5ml-5ml) jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chives + 1 tbsp (15 ml) for garnishing
- ½ cup (75 g) panko bread crumbs + ¼ cup (40g) for rolling
FOR REMOULADE SAUCE:
- ¼ cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) whole grain mustard
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml) horseradish
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pickle juice
FOR APPLE SLAW:
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sour cream (or crème fraiche or plain Greek Yogurt)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced into matchsticks with a mandolin
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) poppy seeds
- Prepare crab cakes. In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, egg, mustard Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and hot sauce. Whisk to combine.
- Then add the jalapeno and 1 tbsp (30 ml) of chives, stir to combine. Then add the crab and ½ cup of the bread crumbs, stirring into well combined.
- Place the remaining ¼ cup of bread crumbs in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Then take a ¼ cup (60 ml) measuring cup and scoop out the crab mixture and form into a patty. Roll patty in panko on all sides to coat completely, and transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining crab until 4 cakes are formed. Refrigerate to firm up for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the remoulade sauce. In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, horseradish, and pickle juice. Whisk to combine. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- For the slaw. Cut apple by slicing off all sides or “cheeks” of the apple, leaving you with 4 pieces and a square core. Run apple pieces, one by one, through a mandolin, with the matchstick setting, creating fine apple sticks. Set aside.
- Then in a small bowl combine sour cream, apple cider vinegar and whisk together until combined. Add apples and toss until apples are fully coated with dressing and then add poppy seeds and toss. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- All components are ready! Now to cook and plate!
- If cooking in an air fryer set temperature to 360 and “fry” for 15-18 mins until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove cakes from fryer and place on a plate, top each cake with a dollop of remoulade sauce, top with chives. Then place the slaw in the center, piled high
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- John Boos Block 214 Chop-N-Slice Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 20 Inches x 15 Inches x 1.25 Inches
- Premium Mandoline Fruit & Vegetable Cutter for Home and Business-Cheese Grater, Potato Slicer | Vegetable Chopper: Includes 5 Inserts (Black), Blade Guard, Finger Guard | Free Recipe E-Books
- Philips Starfish Technology Airfryer, Black - 1.8lb/2.75qt- HD9220/26
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 116mg Sodium: 405mg Carbohydrates: 27g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 20g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 19g