Once spring is in the air, one of my favorite Sunday night dinner ideas, is a platter of Crab Cakes topped with remoulade sauce and served with apple slaw. It’s a great mix of flavors that can’t be beat.
For a step-by-step tutorial of this recipe you can watch my video below. SUBSCRIBE TO YOU YOUTUBE CHANNEL and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!) and new recipes are uploaded weekly!
This recipe is great for a dinner for two or makes a great starter for four. If you own an air fryer these are even easier! They fry up in less than 20 minutes and requires NO OIL. This is my favorite brand of air fryer. (This link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
These do take a little prep, I won’t lie, but none of it is hard and the results are well worth the effort! If you want perfectly sliced matchsticks for the apple slaw I highly recommend using a Mandoline. This model is a good “entry level” model if you don’t want to spend too much.
I hope you enjoy this Sunday night dinner idea! Need a great go-with dessert? Might I suggest my easy Strawberry Cobbler? Enjoy!
- 8 oz (230 g) Crab Meat
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10 ml) mustard
- 1 ½ tsp (7.25ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) of hot sauce
- ½-1 tsp (2.5ml-5ml) jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chives + 1 tbsp (15 ml) for garnishing
- ½ cup (75 g) panko bread crumbs + ¼ cup (40g) for rolling
- FOR REMOULADE SAUCE:
- ¼ cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) whole grain mustard
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml) horseradish
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pickle juice
- FOR APPLE SLAW:
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sour cream (or crème fraiche or plain Greek Yogurt)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced into matchsticks with a mandolin
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) poppy seeds
- Prepare crab cakes. In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, egg, mustard Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and hot sauce. Whisk to combine.
- Then add the jalapeno and 1 tbsp (30 ml) of chives, stir to combine. Then add the crab and ½ cup of the bread crumbs, stirring into well combined.
- Place the remaining ¼ cup of bread crumbs in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Then take a ¼ cup (60 ml) measuring cup and scoop out the crab mixture and form into a patty. Roll patty in panko on all sides to coat completely, and transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining crab until 4 cakes are formed. Refrigerate to firm up for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the remoulade sauce. In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, horseradish, and pickle juice. Whisk to combine. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- For the slaw. Cut apple by slicing off all sides or “cheeks” of the apple, leaving you with 4 pieces and a square core. Run apple pieces, one by one, through a mandolin, with the matchstick setting, creating fine apple sticks. Set aside.
- Then in a small bowl combine sour cream, apple cider vinegar and whisk together until combined. Add apples and toss until apples are fully coated with dressing and then add poppy seeds and toss. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- All components are ready! Now to cook and plate!
- If cooking in an air fryer set temperature to 360 and “fry” for 15-18 mins until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove cakes from fryer and place on a plate, top each cake with a dollop of remoulade sauce, top with chives. Then place the slaw in the center, piled high