This Roasted Tomato Soup is one of life’s best comfort foods! This soup recipe is made even easier with the help of your oven, where all the vegetable roast together. It’s quick enough for a weeknight meal and makes a good-sized batch allowing enough leftovers to pop in the lunchbox the next day!
Watch My Video Demo of This Soup Recipe Below!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!)
How do I make tomato soup with fresh tomatoes?
The easiest way to cook fresh tomatoes for soup is to roast them. This will bring out their flavor while providing hand-free cooking! When tomatoes are out of season I add a few cherry tomatoes to the mix since they are sweeter than off-season tomatoes. We’ll sweeten them up further by adding a red bell pepper too.
If you are low on tomatoes and need some more veggies to bulk it out, try my Roasted Tomato and Eggplant Soup Recipe. This is a fantastic off-season tomato soup recipe that feels like a warm bite of summer!
Do you have to peel tomatoes to make soup?
I know there are different schools of thought on this one, but I say no need to peel the tomatoes before roasting them and adding to your soup. Not only is it way easier this way, but I feel it’s tastier too since your soup has a bit more bulk to it when the skin is left on.
What Spices to Add to Tomato Soup?
I usually just go with salt and pepper and then garnish with pesto and basil. But you could also add dried basil, or rosemary, or a pinch of some Herbs de Provence would also be nice too.
Once your soup is pureed and ladled into bowls, add a dollop of fresh pesto and a few fresh mozzarella balls, then garnish with a fresh basil leaf or two. It’s a bite of pure heaven.
What goes best with tomato soup?
Well, the classic choice would be my Parmesan Encrusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Or better yet, cut your grilled cheese sandwich into tiny 1″ squares for some grilled cheese croutons! That would be even better!
MORE GREAT SOUP RECIPES!
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Potato Cheddar Bacon Soup Recipe
- Easy Tortilla Chicken Soup Recipe
Please let me know if you make this easy soup recipe by
leaving a rating and review below
- 4 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil, separated
- 1 ½ cups (225g) diced yellow onion
- 3 cups (700 ml) vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tsp (20 ml) store-bought pesto sauce
- 12 small fresh mozzarella balls also called “pearls”
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Place tomatoes, peppers and garlic on a sheet pan. Toss with 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the olive oil. And season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 30 mins shaking pan half way through.
- Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of olive oil in a large soup pot , sauté until until tender. Add roasted vegetable mixture and vegetable broth. Simmer for 5-10 mins until warmed through.
- Transfer to a blender and puree in batches.
- Return to cleaned out soup pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a dollop of pesto, 4 mozzarella balls and fresh basil. Enjoy!
This recipe freezes beautifully! Allow the soup to cool completely, then portion out into individual servings and place in freezer-safe containers. Microwave to re-heat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 742Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 40gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 1088mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 29g