Learn how to make this Easy Tomato Soup Recipe. Roasted Tomato Soup is quick enough for a weeknight meal! Includes video tutorial!
Roasted Tomato Soup is one of life’s best comfort foods! And this soup is made even easier by the help of your oven. It’s quick enough for a weeknight meal and makes a good-sized batch allowing enough leftovers to pop in the lunchbox the next day!
How do I make tomato soup with fresh tomatoes?
I find tomato soup is really great with fresh tomatoes. The easiest way to cook them down and bring out their flavor is by roasting them first. When tomatoes are out of season I add cherry tomatoes since they are sweeter and then sweeten them up further by adding a red bell pepper.
Do you have to peel tomatoes to make soup?
I know there are different schools of thought on this one, but I say no need to peel the tomatoes before roasting them and adding to your soup. Not only is it way easier this way, but I feel tastier too since your soup has a bit more bulk to it.
What Spices to Add to Tomato Soup?
I usually just go with salt and pepper and then garnish with pesto and basil. But you could also add dried basil, or rosemary, or a pinch of some Herbs de Provence would also be nice too.
Once your soup is pureed and ladled into some bowls, add a garnish add a dollop of fresh pesto, and a few fresh mozzarella balls and it’s a bite of heaven.
What goes best with tomato soup?
Well, the classic choice would be a grilled cheese sandwich. Or better yet, cut your grilled cheese sandwich into tiny 1″ squares for some grilled cheese croutons! That would be even better!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!)
Please let me know if you make this easy tomato soup recipe by leaving a rating and review below.
- 4 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil, separated
- 1 ½ cups (225g) diced yellow onion
- 3 cups (700 ml) vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tsp (20 ml) store-bought pesto sauce
- 12 small fresh mozzarella balls also called “pearls”
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Place tomatoes, peppers and garlic on a sheet pan. Toss with 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the olive oil. And season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 30 mins shaking pan half way through.
- Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of olive oil in a large soup pot , sauté until until tender. Add roasted vegetable mixture and vegetable broth. Simmer for 5-10 mins until warmed through.
- Transfer to a blender and puree in batches.
- Return to cleaned out soup pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a dollop of pesto, 4 mozzarella balls and fresh basil. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 742 Total Fat: 60g Saturated Fat: 16g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 40g Cholesterol: 75mg Sodium: 1088mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 11g Protein: 29g