Roasted Tomato Soup is one of life’s best comfort foods! And this soup is made even easier by the help of your oven. It’s quick enough for a weeknight meal and makes a good-sized batch allowing enough leftovers to pop in the lunchbox the next day!
Not to worry if tomatoes are not in season, this Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe also uses cherry tomatoes and red bell peppers to help sweeten it up! Garnish with a little fresh basil, pesto and mozzarella and it’s a bite of heaven.
For a step-by-step tutorial you can watch my video tutorial on this recipe. Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!)
- 4 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil, separated
- 1 ½ cups (225g) diced yellow onion
- 3 cups (700 ml) vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- FOR GARNISH:
- 4 tsp (20 ml) store-bought pesto sauce
- 12 small fresh mozzarella balls also called “pearls”
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Place tomatoes, peppers and garlic on a sheet pan. Toss with 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the olive oil. And season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 30 mins shaking pan half way through.
- Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of olive oil in a large soup pot , sauté until until tender. Add roasted vegetable mixture and vegetable broth. Simmer for 5-10 mins until warmed through.
- Transfer to a blender and puree in batches.
- Return to cleaned out soup pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a dollop of pesto, 4 mozzarella balls and fresh basil. Enjoy!