When the weather turns cool and Halloween is just around the corner, my kids start to ask for “Mommy’s Pumpkin Bread”. It’s a staple at our house from September to November and a mainstay at any school function, bake sale or playdate that may occur during these months.
The other nice thing about this bread is the fact that it makes a fantastic hostess gift if you’re traveling to someone’s house for Thanksgiving.
All you have to do is wrap it up in some festive packaging and place it in a basket with some fancy coffee and jams, and presto instant breakfast basket for the next day (you’ll be remembered as the favorite guest when they tuck into this delicious bread the next morning!)
For a step-by-step tutorial on this recipe you can watch my video demo below. SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL (it’s free!) and never miss a recipe!
- 3 ½ cups (420 g) of flour
- 1 ½ cups (300 g) of sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking soda
- 3 tsp (45 g) of pumpkin pie spice (or 2 tsp cinnamon, ¾ tsp nutmeg, ⅛ tsp cloves, ⅛ tsp ground ginger))
- 1 15-oz can (424 g) of pure pumpkin puree (about 1¾ cup)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (240 ml) of canola oil
- ½ cup (120 ml) of water
- 1 cup (240 ml) of raisins
- 1 cup (240 ml) of walnuts
- 1 cup (240 ml) of Pepitas (Toasted Pumpkin Seeds)
- Preheat oven to 350F (176C) degrees.
- Grease two 9" x 5" (23 cm x 13 cm) loaf pans.
- Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Combine the dry into the wet, ⅓ at a time, being careful not to over mix! (Or you will have tough bread!)
- Add raisins.
- Pour batter into two loaf pans. Top one with walnuts and top the other with Pepitas.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 40-50 mins