I must confess this is the best pumpkin bread recipe. It’s great for Back-to-School, Halloween or Thanksgiving parties! It might actually be my favorite quick bread recipe too!
When the weather turns cool and Halloween is just around the corner, my kids start to ask for “Mommy’s Pumpkin Bread”. This recipe is a staple at our house from September to November.
If you are traveling to someone’s house for Thanksgiving; this bread also makes a fantastic hostess gift!
How do you make pumpkin bread with canned pumpkin?
Pumpkin bread is best made with canned pumpkin otherwise labeled as pumpkin puree. It has great flavor and will be combined as a “wet ingredient”. Just whisk it up with the eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla, and then you’ll add your dry ingredients (recipe follows).
What’s in pumpkin pie spice?
Pumpkin Pie Spice is a combination of cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg and ground cloves. If you live outside the United States and can’t get Pumpkin Pie Spice, not to worry you can make your own!
It only takes a few ingredients you probably already have in your spice cabinet. You can then store it in a small mason jar and place it in your cabinet to use for all your holiday baking.
How long do you cook pumpkin bread for?
Pumpkin Bread takes a fair amount of time to bake, mostly because loaf pans are narrow and deep. For this recipe you should allow at least 40-50 minutes for both loaves to bake in a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
TIP: Be sure a long toothpick is inserted to make sure your bread is fully baked in the middle. It’s really hard to rebake it after the fact!
For a step-by-step tutorial on this recipe, you can watch my video demo below
More Pumpkin Recipes!
- Pumpkin Pie with Marshmallow Topping
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Chocolate Swirl.
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a rating and review belowPrint
The best pumpkin bread recipe. No electric mixer needed. Great for Halloween or Thanksgiving parties! Includes video tutorial!
- 3 ½ cups (420 g) of flour
- 1 ½ cups (300 g) of sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking soda
- 3 tsp (45 g) of pumpkin pie spice (or 2 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cloves, 1/8 tsp ground ginger))
- 1 15-oz can (424 g) of pure pumpkin puree (about 1 3/4 cup)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (240 ml) of canola oil
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) of water
- 1 cup (240 ml) of raisins
- 1 cup (240 ml) of walnuts
- 1 cup (240 ml) of Pepitas (Toasted Pumpkin Seeds)
- Preheat oven to 350F (176C) degrees.
- Grease two 9″ x 5″ (23 cm x 13 cm) loaf pans.
- Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Combine the dry into the wet, 1/3 at a time, being careful not to over mix! (Or you will have tough bread!)
- Add raisins.
- Pour batter into two loaf pans. Top one with walnuts and top the other with Pepitas.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 40-50 mins
This bread freezes beautifully! Just allow to cool completely, wrap in wave paper and then wrap in foil. Thaw in fridge over night or place in microwave to reheat.
- Category: Quick Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy pumpkin bread, the best pumpkin bread recipe, pumpkin bread recipe