Veggie Lasagna Roll Ups are a quicker and easy alternative to traditional lasagna. They have all the same ingredients, but somehow just come together a lot quicker! Must be the rolling instead of the layering?
Watch My Veggie Lasagna Roll Up Video Below!
What Veggies go into Veggie Lasagna Roll Ups?
I find the best vegetables to use for this roll up recipe are onions, zucchini and mushrooms. They provide a wonderful Italian flavor profile which also works well with the sauce and best of all, they cook up quickly!
How To Cook Lasagna Noodles for Lasagna Rolls
Let”s face it, boiling lasagna noodles for any lasagna recipe is the worst part of the process! So I avoid this step all together by using fresh lasagna noodles that are pliable and can be easily rolled up.
Then they bake in the sauce while the casserole bakes in the oven. Genius! (painful boiling step completely averted!)
If you have a hard time finding fresh lasagna noodles at your grocery store, check in the gluten-free aisle. Funny enough the Gluten-Free Fresh Lasagna Noddles tastes exactly the same and work great!
Can Lasagna Roll Ups Be Made Ahead?
OK, so a few thoughts on this. Ricotta cheese is notoriously filled with water. It make look innocent enough in the tub, dry as a bone.
But if you let it sit for any amount of time (i.e. in a lasagna noodle in your fridge) the water will seep out, break apart your lasagna roll ups, and turn your rich tomato sauce into a soup mess. So you have 2 options.
Make and Bake your Lasagna Roll Up Casserole ahead of time. Cool and refrigerate and then reheat at 300F for 30 minutes.
Option #2 (my preference)
Make your sauce. Place in your 9 x 13 pan. Cover and refrigerate. Place your plain ricotta cheese in a strainer over a bowl to drain in the fridge.
Then when you want to serve it, cut your fresh herbs..
mix up the ricotta cheese mixture…
..roll up your Lasagna sheets with the ricotta mixture..
…then and place in the tomato sauce, top with mozzarella cheese and bake!
Serve your casserole oven to table and let everyone dig in!
More Vegetarian Sunday Night Dinners!
- Thai Red Curry
- Gardener’s Pie
- Quinoa and Curried Roasted Vegetables
- Vegetarian Pot Pie
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup with Dill
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU MAKE THESE VEGGIE LASAGNA ROLL UPS BY LEAVING A RATING AND REVIEW BELOW
- 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (150g) yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup (150g) zucchini, diced
- 1 cup (150g) white mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) dry white wine, or chicken broth
- 26 oz (736 g) of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups (475ml) tomato sauce
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10ml) Italian seasoning spice blend
- 3 cups (700ml) whole milk ricotta cheese, drained for at least an hour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (120ml) Italian blend cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) basil, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package (12-sheets) fresh lasagna noodles
- 1 ½ cups (350 g) grated mozzarella cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Place ricotta cheese in a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl, and drain in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. This will help the ricotta lose some of the water which can make your sauce too runny.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Sauté onions until fragrant and translucent, then add zucchini and mushrooms until cooked and tender. Season with salt and pepper. Add wine and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, garlic and Italian seasoning. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, Italian cheese, herbs and salt and pepper.
- Transfer tomato sauce to a 9 x 13 (23 x 32cm) casserole.
- Spoon out ¼ cup (60 ml) of the ricotta mixture and place on one end of the lasagna noodle, roll it up, and nestle into the sauce. Spooning the sauce on top. Continue the process until all lasagna noodles are filled and nestled in the sauce.
- Top with the mozzarella cheese on top of the entire casserole. Garnish with the fresh basil leaves.
- Bake at 325F (162C) for 40-45 mins until cheese is nicely browned and sauce is bubbling underneath.
Use Gluten-Free Fresh Lasagna Noodles. Sometimes these are easier to find in the refrigerated section of your supermarket!
Do not try to assemble this and place in the fridge before baking! The ricotta cheese will emit too much moisture and split open your lasagna noodle and make a big watery mess.
To prep in advance, keep everything separate (the ricotta cheese mixture, the sauce can both be made ahead of time.
Then just before baking, assemble and serve!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 57mg Sodium: 755mg Carbohydrates: 37g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 17g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 16g