For the most part we eat pretty healthy food at our house, with the slight exception of Saturday morning.
This is usually when I like to spoil everyone with something decadent like this; whole wheat pancakes with bruleed bananas is one of the most comforting winter weekend treats!
It’s a simple pancake recipe that has a wonderful earthiness to it thanks to whole wheat flour. This is then complimented by the sweet caramelized bananas. It’s the perfect flavor combination in my book.
For a step-by-step tutorial of this recipe watch my video! CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube Channel (it’s free!) and never miss a recipe!
I recommend slicing the bananas on the diagonal to help coat them well with sugar. It also will make for a prettier garnish that way when you go to plate them up.
And figure about a banana per person since once they taste those crunchy, caramelized bananas everyone always wants more! They’re also great topped on some warm oatmeal too.
Drizzle with a little warm maple syrup and top with some raw walnuts and you’ll have quiet a little tasty weekend treat on your hand! Enjoy! xx
- 1 ½ cups (180g) whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp (25 g) sugar
- 2½ tsp (12.5ml) ( baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 ½-1 ¾ cups (350-410 ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) melted butter
- For Garnish:
- 4-5 Bananas
- 3 tbsp sugar in the raw aka “Turbinado" sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to broil setting.
- Meanwhile slice bananas on the diagonal. Dip one side generously in raw sugar. Place cut side down, sugar side up on a baking sheet.
- Play tray on upper rack, as close to the heating implement as it will go. Broil for 2-3 mins until sugar is caramelized and bubbling. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Then add 1 ½ cups (350 ml) milk, eggs and melted butter. If too thick add ¼ cup (60 ml) more of milk.
- Heat griddle to medium high. Ladle out pancakes and allow to cook. Flip once pancakes are set and small bubbles appear. Cook 30 seconds on the other side.
- Pile pancakes high, 3 to a stack placing a pat of butter in between each stack. Garnish with bruleed bananas on top, a drizzle of maple syrup and a few chopped walnuts. Enjoy!