If you're looking for a few healthy recipes to get you through the New Year after the decadence of the holidays, you'll love this healthy chicken salad recipe with no mayonnaise!
The Greek yogurt dressing gives it a lighter feel, and you'll love the spices, nuts, and fruits for both flavor and crunch.
For more healthy salad ideas try my Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette or my Roasted Harvest Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Why You'll Love This:
- It makes a good-sized batch to last throughout the week to take to school or work as well.
- It's also one of those "hot weather" dinners when it's just too hot to cook. Make this in the morning and come home to a deliciously chilled dinner
- It's the perfect thing to make in advance and serve to guests for lunch. Serve it on top of greens or in a pita pocket
Watch My Video Demo of This Recipe Below
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel and Never Miss a Recipe!
Step#1: Roast The Chicken
- Buy your chicken skin-on, bone-in for a chicken salad that will be moist and tender.
- You'll then shred the chicken off the bone with two forks. You could shred your chicken the day before you plan to serve the salad, just keep it intact, in the refrigerator. This will prevent it from drying out.
- Then shred the chicken right before assembling the salad.
- You could also use store-bought rotisserie chicken, and skip the step of roasting the chicken.
Step#2: Mix the Dressing
- What makes this chicken salad healthier than traditional chicken salad is the fact that it contains no mayonnaise. Instead, it gets its creaminess from plain Greek Yogurt.
- Just be sure when you buy the yogurt that it's marked "plain" and not "vanilla" they are usually sold next to each other and can be easy to mix up!
Add Flavor with Mango Chutney
Another thing you'll love about this chicken salad recipe is the unexpected flavors. I like to add some mango chutney for a bit of tart sweetness that gets balanced out with the lime juice. It makes what could be a bland chicken salad, a flavor sensation!
Add Spices to Wake Up The Taste Buds
- Another thing that gives this salad a great flavor profile is Garam Masala.
- Garam Masala is a wonderful spice blend that originates from South Asia and includes warming spices such as cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, black pepper, cumin, and coriander to name a few.
- In combination with the mango chutney, it gives this chicken salad a slight Indian flavor profile which is just delicious!
- Spices are a wonderful way to add additional flavor to the chicken salad without adding additional calories.
Step#3: Add the Fruits and Nuts
- The hallmark of a great chicken salad is the mix-ins. In my opinion, chicken salad needs some crunchiness and chewiness to become more interesting.
- I like to add green apples and nuts for crunch. If you don't like the tartness of the apple you could add more sweetness by using red seedless grapes instead.
- For dried fruits, I add both golden and traditional raisins for a wonderful sweet chewiness. But you could also add cranberries or dried apricots too.
Pistachios Add Crunch and Interest
- Pistachios are a great option for a nut that pairs well with the flavors of the mango chutney and the Garam Masala
- Use the raw unsalted pistachios for the healthiest choice
- If your regular supermarket doesn't sell shelled pistachios you can usually buy them in bulk in the Middle Eastern grocery stores.
- You can serve this salad spooned into a whole wheat pita and eat it as a sandwich.
- Or spoon the salad over some healthy, nutrient-dense greens like arugula, baby spinach, or baby swiss chard.
A Great Lunch Salad For Hot Weather Entertaining
- This is a wonderful salad to take on a picnic or serve as a main course for a summer lunch party.
- It looks really pretty when spooned over the greens and to make it more of a meal you could begin the lunch with some chilled Yellow Tomato Gazpacho Soup Shooters with Spicy Shrimp.
More Healthy Recipes You'll Love!
If You Enjoyed This Recipe,
Please Leave a Rating and a Review Below!
- 4 Chicken Breasts (Bone-In, Skin On)
- 1 cup (240 ml) non-fat, plain yogurt
- ½ cup (120 ml) of mango chutney
- 1 tablespoon (30 ml) garam masala
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) freshly cracked pepper
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup (40 g) cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup of raisins
- ½ cup (75 g) of golden raisins
- ½ cup (75 g) of raw, unsalted pistachios OR raw, unsalted pecans, chopped
- ½ cup (75 g) of apple, diced
- 6-8 Whole wheat pitas
- 2 cups (180 g) arugula
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C)
- Place Chicken breasts on a sheet pan lined with a rack. Roast for 25-30 mins until chicken is cooked through. About 30-35mins
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, chutney, garam masala, salt, pepper, lime zest and juice. Whisk until combined.
- Stir in raisins, pecans and apple.
- Once chicken is cooled. Remove skin and shred with a fork. Place in a large mixing bowl. Slowly add yogurt mixture ¼ cup at a time until it reaches the desired "creaminess" for your taste.
- Cut pitas in half and spoon in salad, and top with arugula.
You can make this recipe even easier by using store-bought rotisserie chicken
If you can't find shelled pistachios at your supermarket, shop the Middle Eastern supermarkets you can usually buy them there in bulk!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 400mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 5gSugar: 16gProtein: 27g