Is there anything more comforting than a chicken pot pie? I love to serve this kind of comfort food for special occasions, like Easter, because it immediately puts everyone at ease and feels festive at the same time.
The addition of spring herbs, lemon zest, peas and carrots gives this classic dish a wonderful springtime twist.
I also love to serve these pot pies in French lion’s head bowls. Their footed bases make this dish even more elegant. You can find them online in my Amazon Store
For a step-by-step demo of this recipe you can watch my video tutorial below.
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL (it’s free!) and never miss a recipe. New videos post every Saturday!
- 2 large chicken breasts, bone in, skin on.
- 2 tbsp (30 g) butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 2 leeks, white parts only, sliced into quarters
- ½ cup (120 ml) dry white wine
- 4 cups (960 ml) of chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (15 g) cornstarch or flour thinned with 2 tbsp (15 g) water
- 16 white button mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp (8 g) lemon zest
- ¾ cup (110 g) of frozen peas
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) freshly cracked pepper
- ¼ cup (40 g) fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
- 4 squares of puffed pastry (to fit over your bowls. Allow a generous border to seal over sides)
- 1 egg + 1 tsp (5 ml) water.
- Preheat oven to 400 F/ 200C. Roast chicken for 25-30 mins until cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot melt butter, add onion, carrots and leeks and cook until soft. Add white wine and cook for 1 min. Add chicken broth, and cornstarch mixture, bring to a boil an d cook 1 min.
- Add mushrooms and bay leaf and allow to simmer.
- Meanwhile prep chicken. Remove the skin, and shred the chicken off bone with two forks, into bite-sized pieces. Add to the soup mixture, along with the lemon zest, peas, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- MAKE AHEAD NOTE: At this point you could transfer mixture to a container, and pop in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Prepare egg wash. 1 egg whisked together with 1 tsp of water.
- Ladle mixture into heat safe bowls and top with puff pastry, securing sides to the bowl to adhere. Brush with the egg wash with a pastry brush.
- Bake according to directions on your package of puffed pastry until pastry is golden brown and puffed up. (15-20 mins)
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American