A great burger recipe usually comes down to a series of components, the bun, the patty, the add-ons, and of course the burger sauce!
Many times this "secret sauce" marketed in fancy burger joints, is what separates a good burger from a great burger! But call it a secret no more! You'll be amazed to see how easy the "Secret Sauce" is to make!
So if you want to be the "burger boss" at your house, try whipping up a batch of this sauce for your next burger night. Your friends and family will be SO glad you did!
- Mayonnaise This sauce is mayonnaise-based, and I highly recommend you use Hellmann's if your are on the East Coast, Best Foods if you are on the West Coast. These are the best tasting mayonnaise brands in my opinion.
- Ketchup I'm always surprised by how many flavors ketchup can have, depending on the brand. Some are sweeter, some have more tomato flavor, and some have a bit more tang. For this recipe I recommend using Heinz Ketchup for the best flavor.
- Pickle Relish Will give your sauce that little kick of sweetness that makes those "secret sauces" so good!
- Hot Sauce This is an ingredient that cannot be overlooked or under-estimated. It gives the sauce a wonderful depth of flavor without making it "spicy" trust me on this one!
- Garlic Powder Just a smidge for a little extra savoriness
- Salt and Pepper To heighten all the above flavors
- This sauce gets better the longer it sits in the refrigerator and the flavors have a chance to marry.
- Make it up to one to two days in advance of serving
- It will then last for a week in your fridge, if you can keep it around that long! It's so yummy it disappears pretty quickly!
Storing and Serving The Sauce
- The sauce is easy to store in a 8 0z mason jar and for a casual BBQ it's fun to serve it that way too!
- If you are heading to someone's house for a potluck this is also a fun thing to bring the host that's a bit more original than a bowl of potato salad.
Serve it on Wraps, Sandwiches and Salads
- The nice thing about a burger sauce is the fact that you can use it for more than just burgers!
- Serve it on grilled chicken sandwiches or use it as a dipping sauce for potato wedges or sweet potato fries.
- Serve it in a pita pocket with sliced turkey or on a BLT too!
- It also works as a delicious salad dressing drizzled on a wedge of iceberg lettuce.
More Great Summer Recipes!
- BBQ Ribs and Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Blackberry Crumble
- Peach Tarte Tatin
- Triple Berry No-Bake Cheesecake
- Creamy Cucumber and Dill Salad
- 1 cup (213 g) of Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (58g) of ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) Pickle Relish
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25ml) hot sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon (a large pinch) garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together the mayonnaise, ketchup and relish until smooth and combined
- Then add the hot sauce, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste
- Transfer to a serving container (mason jars work great!)
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Will keep fresh in the refrigerator for one week
- Also great on grilled chicken sandwiches, salads, pita sandwiches or wraps too!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 17Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g