My Cafe Mocha Cupcake Recipe is an easy cupcake recipe for beginners. It’s a cute dessert recipe for a book club party or coffee lovers’ birthday. It starts with a rich chocolate cupcake base that can be mixed up with two bowls and a whisk, no need to drag out the mixer!
Then it’s topped with a light and fluffy coffee-flavored frosting and topped with an espresso bean. So easy to make and delicious to eat!
WATCH MY VIDEO DEMO ON THIS RECIPE BELOW!
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel and Never Miss a Recipe!
Coffee and chocolate are perfect “flavor mates” one really enhances the other! They are one of those cupcakes that look really impressive but aren’t that hard to make. My kind of recipe!
One of the things that makes this cupcake so rich and chocolatey is the unsweetened cocoa powder. But make sure you give it time to bloom first in the hot water.
Why does cocoa powder need to bloom?
Blooming cocoa powder allows for the intensity of the cocoa flavor to develop. It’s a good thing to do anytime you are creating a recipe that relies heavily on the chocolate flavor like this cupcake.
How do you make a cafe frosting?
To make a cafe frosting you’ll need a little jar of espresso powder. It’s typically sold in the coffee aisle next to the instant coffee. I only use it for baking though, because when served as the jar recommends, stirred with hot water it’s well, pretty awful! But the flavor is actually perfect for baking!
It will last you forever and is a good thing to have on hand for holiday Christmas cookies which tend to call for it a lot.
After the frosting is piped I also like to add some chocolate shavings…you can do this with a square of bittersweet chocolate or even a few chocolate chips will work too!
It just adds a nice little flourish of decoration on top as it rests into the swirls of the frosting.
And top with a chocolate-covered espresso bean for a finishing touch!
MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES!
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Candy Cane Cupcakes
- Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- Banana Cupcakes with Coconut
Please let me know if you make this Cupcake Recipe
by leaving a rating and review below
- 1/2 cup (50 g) unsweetened Cocoa powder
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 g) of sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5ml) vanilla
- 3/4 cup (90g) of flour
- ¾ tsp(3.75 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda
Whipped Cream Frosting:
- 1 ½ cups (350 ml) of whipping cream or heavy cream
- 3 tbsp (20g) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp espresso (15 ml) powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla
- 12 chocolate covered espresso beans
- Grated chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F/(175C).
- In a large bowl combine the cocoa powder with the hot water and whisk up with a wire whisk until smooth. The hot water will “bloom” the coco powder and bring out its best flavor.
- Then add the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Set Aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Combine the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, slowly whisking until combined.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with brown muffin papers, and fill each well ½ way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely. Meanwhile you can prepare the frosting.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer combine the whipping cream, powdered sugar, espresso powder and vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip.
- Pipe a generous mound of frosting. Then garnish with chocolate shavings made with a bittersweet chocolate bar and rasp grater. And top with an espresso bean.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 25mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 20gProtein: 5g