Air fryer tortilla chips are a delicious snack to make in your air fryer. Not only are they quick and easy and require only 3 ingredients. They can also be lower in calories and salt too! They're also cheaper than a bag of store-bought tortilla chips as well!
New to air frying? Check out all my air fryer recipes for some new ideas that will quickly become fast favorites!
Recipe Pairing Ideas:
- Kick your party off with some refreshing Cucumber and Melon Agua Frescas which would pair beautifully with these chips.
- You can also serve them with my Homemade Guacamole Recipe and Traditional Hummus or Beet Hummus Recipes
- They are also delicious served on top of my White Chicken Chili or Chicken Tortilla Soup recipes too.
Watch My Video Demo of this Recipe Below!
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel and Never Miss a Recipe!
This video also includes recipes for my Air Fryer Chicken Wings, Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp, Air Fryer Homefries, and Air Fryer Cookie Sundae too!
Step#1:Selecting the Right Tortillas
Air fryer tortillas work best with thinner corn tortillas. They end up becoming crunchier and lighter. Sometimes these tortillas are labeled extra thin or extra soft. You'll notice immediately how much more pliable they are than regular corn tortillas. You can bend them without having to heat them, and they don't easily crack either.
My favorite tortilla is the yellow corn extra thin/extra soft tortillas by Mission brand. I have found they work the best. Stay away from the thicker, more artesian-style tortillas. While I love them for things like my Carne Asada Tacos, they don't do well as tortilla chips. They are too thick and end up creating a really hard chip.
Corn Tortillas vs. Flour Tortillas
As for flour tortillas, I find they don't work as well. They end up getting too hard and chewy and don't get as crispy as the corn tortillas do.
Cutting the Tortillas
The best-sized tortilla for chips is a 6-inch tortilla, that way you can get 6 triangular chips per tortilla. Or you can also cut them into quarters to get 4 chips per tortilla. I actually prefer to use the quarters because I find it's a more generous chip for holding a more generous portion of dip!
Step#2: Add Salt and Oil
Place the tortilla slices in the air fryer basket and give them a light dusting of olive oil spray. The spray oil will provide the thin even layer of oil needed to get the chips extra crispy. It also helps to allow the salt to adhere to the chips as well.
Seasoning the Chips
I like to use a larger crunchy salt like Maldon Sea Salt flakes. It adds a nice salty flavor without being too salty. For additional flavor, you can also add a few pinches of ground cumin too.
Step#3: Air Fry Tortillas
I've spent a lot of time experimenting with how long to air fry tortilla chips, and my verdict is "low and slow is the way to go". I set the air fryer at 325F and air fry for 6 minutes.
Why a Higher Temperature Doesn't Work
When I experimented with higher temperatures, the edges would get too browned before the chip was fully cooked. So they ended up being a bit hard and chewy! Each air fryer model operates a bit differently.
I own the Philipp's Air Fryer and I find 325F for 6 minutes is ideal. But you can experiment with your own model to discover what works best for you.
Step#4: Serve with Your Favorite Dips
I like to serve these chips with salsa and homemade guacamole, or they are also delicious with my Smokey Eggplant dip too! You can add some additional salt on top before serving or a squeeze of lime juice is great too.
Storing Homemade Tortilla Chips
- These chips can be stored in an airtight container on your countertop for 2-3 days, if they last that long!
- To refreshen up their crispiness you can pop them back into the air fryer at 325F for 1-2 minutes until warm and crispy.
More Delicious Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Blueberry Muffins
- Air Fryer Quiche
- Air Fryer Blueberry Hand Pies
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- 6 extra thin/extra soft corn tortillas (Mission Brand if you can get it)
- Flakey sea salt (like Maldon sea salt)
- Olive oil spray
- Slice a stack of 6 corn tortillas into quarters.
- Place in air fryer basket.
- Spray lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Air fry at 325F (162C) for 6 minutes. Serve with salsa and homemade guacamole
- Do not over crowd the tortillas. Fry in batches if necessary
- Chips that are too hard and chewy need more time frying. Each air fryer can differ slightly. If yours are chewy keep frying another minute or two
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days. To freshen up, place the chips nback in the air fryer and air fry at 325F for 1-2 minutes or until warm and crispy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortillas, Gluten Free, Trans Fat Free, Small Soft Taco Size - 2 Packs
Trader Joe's Jose's Spanish Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Non Stick Cooking Spray 5 Fl. Oz. (2-Pack)
Philips Twin TurboStar Technology XXL Airfryer with Fat Reducer, Analog Interface, White, 3lb/4qt- HD9630/28
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 43Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g