It’s strawberry season! Although one could argue in today’s global food economy, it’s always strawberry season somewhere, but there’s nothing that reminds me to eat seasonally and locally more than the taste of a ripe, California strawberry, bursting with flavor and sweetness! My strawberry shortcake cupcake recipe is a treat my kids love every time this year.
They are delicious and festive and the perfect little springtime dessert idea for any special occasion.
They become “extra cute” when baked in these darling baking cups by Simply Baked.
For a step-by-step video tutorial you can watch the video below! Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! It’s free! 🙂
- 1 ½ cups (180g) flour
- 1 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (2.5 ml) baking powder
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup (150 g) sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) melted butter
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- 1 cup (150 g) chopped strawberries
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fresh lemon zest
- 12 whole strawberries, on the small side
- FOR FROSTING:
- 2 cups (480 ml) heavy cream
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F (175 C) degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix together eggs, sugar, butter, water and vanilla.
- Then slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients just until combined, being careful not to over mix! (or your cupcakes will be tough)
- Toss chopped strawberries with 1 tsp of lemon zest, and set aside.
- Spoon batter into muffins cups ⅓ of the way, then add 1 tbsp of chopped strawberries on top, then top with more batter until ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 15 mins. It's done when a toothpick comes out clean. If using the Simply Baked cups it may take up to 20-23 mins for them to be completely baked since the cupcakes end up being more tightly compacted then a regular muffin tin.
- Allow to cool completely.
- For the frosting, combine cream, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whip on high until stiff peaks form. Transfer whipped cream to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe a round rosette of frosting, and top with a whole strawberry. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Best eaten the day they are made. Enjoy!