Crème brûlée is one of those desserts most people only order in restaurants. I think it has to do with that blow torch thingy that know one wants to deal with. I hear ya! I’m the same way. I’m al;ways afraid I’m going to burn down the house with that thing.That’s why I like my Easy Crème Brûlée recipe that can be made without a torch and utilizes just the broiling implement of your oven (Sweet!) and seriously, it’s just as good if not better than those you will order in a restaurant.
For a step-by-step tutorial on the process you can WATCH THE VIDEO DEMO HERE.
Best ramekins for this undertaking can be found here (This link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate)
- 3 cups (720 ml) of heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅓ (65 g)cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp (69) brown sugar for the tops
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C).
- In a saucepan combine the heavy cream, vanilla bean seeds and the pod. Bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile combine the egg yolks, sugar and salt.
- Fish out the vanilla pod from the milk mixture, and slowly pour a stream of the hot milk into the egg mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, over a heat safe bowl, strain the mixture.
- Ladle mixture into ramekins, and place in a roasting pan. Place in the oven and pour hot water slowly in the corner of the roasting pan (to avoid splashing into the custards. They will not set if they are mixed with splashed water, so be careful not to splash). Place just enough so that it reaches half way up the ramekins.
- Bake for 15-20 mins just until custards are set and jiggle slightly.
- Allow them to cool, then cover and refrigerate.
- To serve sprinkle tops of custard with 1 tsp each of the brown sugar. Position your oven rack on the highest shelf of your oven. Set your oven to broil. Place the custards on a low profile cookie sheet and pop under the broiler for about 10-15 seconds, or until the sugar has browned and caramelized.
- IMPORTANT!: Do not walk away from custards under broiler you must watch this carefully or they will catch fire if left too long to broil!!!
- Serve with a dollop of homemade whipped cream, et voila!
1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
1 tbsp (6 g) powdered sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whip with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
Never miss a recipe! Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! (It’s free!) New videos posted weekly!