Learn how to make a chocolate mousse cake. This recipe is so divine you’ll swear it was heaven-sent!
The easiest way to wow a crowd is with anything that involves “chocolate mousse”. This is why I love this Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe. It’s decadent, a bit mysterious and oh so divine! It’s really easier to make than you might think and in my video below I’ll give you all my tips!
This recipe is completely worth the effort! None of the steps are “hard”, they just takes a little bit of patience and will be sure to be one memorable dessert! (Psst… Just be sure to plan ahead and allow enough time to refrigerate it, since it does take at least 4 hours to set up. )
How do you make a chocolate wafer crust?
A chocolate wafer crust is super simple to make with a package of these Famous Wafer Cookies. These cookies can sometimes be hard to find outside of “Ice Cream Season” so I usually just buy them online in a pack of 2. (this link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
Just whirl up a full package of the cookies in your food processor until fine crumbs form, then add melted butter until a coarse meal forms that sticks between your fingers when you pinch it. Fit into your cheesecake pan, tightening the sides with a measuring cup and then bake! (full recipe is below)
What is chocolate mousse cake?
A Chocolate Mousse Cake is essentially a basic chocolate mousse recipe, poured into a crust, and set inside the fridge for several hours to be chilled. Mousse + Cake=The best of both worlds!
Can you make chocolate mousse cake ahead of time?
Yes! You can definitely make a chocolate mousse cake ahead of time. In fact, I think it’s even better if you can make it a day ahead. That way it will have the time to really set up, which makes it easier to slice. I even add the whipped cream on top too, so that it too will cut cleanly.
How do you make chocolate curls?
There are a couple ways you can make chocolate curls for this recipe. You can either peel the chocolate with a potato peeler for small curls.
Or for larger more impressive curls, melt some dark chocolate in the microwave, then pour it into a frozen baking sheet that you have placed in the freezer for a few minutes until cold, and flipped over. Allow the chocolate to set, and then push it into curls with a bench scraper.
And presto! Beautiful dark chocolate curls! For a step-by-step video tutorial of this technique you can watch my video below.
WATCH MY HOW TO MAKE A CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE VIDEO BELOW
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL and never miss a recipe! (It’s fee) and new videos post each Saturday!
You can buy the pink cake stand here which I think adds a pretty, elegant touch to the presentation. It’s a generous size stand which makes it ideal for holding a dozen muffins too! (the link goes to Amazon where I am an Affiliate)
Learn how to make a chocolate mousse cake recipe. This cake is so divine you’ll swear it was heaven sent!
- For the Crust:
- 1 (9 0z) package of famous chocolate wafers
- 5 tbsp (75 ml) melted butter
- For The Mousse Ingredients:
- 10 oz (286 g) bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp (30 g) butter
- 2 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp (25 g) sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 ml)
- 4 egg whites
- ¾ tsp (3.75 ml) cream of tartar
- 1 cup (240 ml) of heavy cream
- For Sweetened Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For Chocolate Shards:
- 6 oz (169 g) Bittersweet Chocolate
- Place wafers into a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Or place wafers in a large zip lock bag and whack with a rolling pin until crushed and crumbs form.
- Add melted butter to the crumbs and pulse to combine.
- Transfer crumbs into a 9″ (23 cm) springform pan and press into bottom and up the sides of the pan to form a crust. Bake at 375F (190C) for 8 mins. Allow to cool.
- Place 10 ounces of bittersweet chocolate and 2 tbsp butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second increments until melted. Or melt over a double boiler. Allow to cool slightly. Add egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl and beat on high until soft peaks form. 2-3 mins.
- Fold whipped whites into chocolate mixture, gently lightening the mixture in stages, until combined.
- Then beat 1 cup of heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold the cream into the mousse mixture, and gently mix until combined.
- Transfer mousse into cooled pie crust.
- Garnish with a large dollop of sweetened whipped cream in the center, and chocolate shards or shavings. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but overnight even better!
- To make sweetened whip cream:
- Combine heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whip until soft peak forms.
- For Chocolate shards:
- Place a metal baking sheet in the freezer for 15 mins. Melt chocolate in a microwave at :30 intervals until melted. Whisk until slightly cooled and smooth.
- Pour chocolate over bottom of frozen pan, creating a thin layer. Allow to set until matt and cooled (pop back in freezer if need to help set up) Take a metal bench scrape and scrap chocolate until shards or curls form.
Keywords: easy chocolate mousse cake, how to make a chocolate mousse cake, chocolate mousse cake recipe
New recipe videos uploaded weekly! Subscribe to my YouTube channel and never miss out!