The easiest way to wow a crowd is with anything that involves chocolate mousse. This is why I love this Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe. It's decadent, a bit mysterious, and oh so divine! It's really easier to make than you might think and in my video below I'll give you all my tips!
What is chocolate mousse cake?
A Chocolate Mousse Cake is essentially a basic chocolate mousse recipe, poured into a crust, and set inside the fridge for several hours to be chilled. Mousse + Cake=The best of both worlds! Just be sure to plan ahead and allow enough time to refrigerate it, since it does take at least 4 hours to set up.
Watch My Video Demo of This Recipe Below!
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel and Never Miss a Recipe!
STEP 1: Make The Crust
How do you make a chocolate wafer crust?
A chocolate wafer crust is super simple to make with a package of these Famous Wafer Cookies. These cookies can sometimes be hard to find outside of "Ice Cream Season" so I usually just buy them online. (this link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
Just whirl up a full package of the cookies in your food processor until fine crumbs form, then add melted butter until a coarse meal forms that will stick between your fingers when you pinch it.
Fit into your cheesecake pan, tightening the sides with a measuring cup, and then bake! (full recipe is below)
STEP 2: MAKE THE FILLING
You'll melt bittersweet chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl at 30-second increments.
Then you'll add the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla and a rich chocolate mixture will form. You'll set that aside.
Then you'll whip your egg whites until a stiff peak forms.
Fold in these egg whites into the chocolate mixture. A little at a time, lightening the dense chocolate mixture with each addition of egg whites.
Once your mixture has lightened it will be easy to pour into your cheesecake pan.
At this stage, you can smooth out the top with a spatula or leave the soft peaks.
Can you make chocolate mousse cake ahead of time?
Yes! You can definitely make a chocolate mousse cake ahead of time. In fact, I think it's even better if you can make it a day ahead. That way it will have the time to really set up, which makes it easier to slice.
I even add the whipped cream on top too, so that it too will cut cleanly.
STEP #3: Garnish with Chocolate Curls
How do you make chocolate curls?
There are a couple of ways you can make chocolate curls for this recipe. You can either peel the chocolate with a potato peeler for small curls.
Or for larger more impressive curls, melt some dark chocolate in the microwave, then pour it into a frozen baking sheet that you have placed in the freezer for a few minutes until cold, and flipped over.
Smooth the chocolate on the pan with an offset spatula until a thin layer forms.
Allow the chocolate to set, and then push it into curls with a bench scraper.
And presto! Beautiful dark chocolate curls!
You can buy the pink cake stand here which I think adds a pretty, elegant touch to the presentation. It's a generous size stand which makes it ideal for holding a dozen muffins too! (the link goes to Amazon where I am an Affiliate)
Try More Decadent Chocolate Desserts:
Please let me know if you make this recipe
by leaving a rating and review below.
- 1 (9 0z) package of famous chocolate wafers
- 5 tbsp (75 ml) melted butter
- 10 oz (286 g) bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp (30 g) butter
- 2 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp (25 g) sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 ml)
- 4 egg whites
- ¾ tsp (3.75 ml) cream of tartar
- 1 cup (240 ml) of heavy cream
For Sweetened Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (7g) powdered sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) vanilla extract
- 6 oz (169 g) Bittersweet Chocolate
- Place wafers into a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Or place wafers in a large zip lock bag and whack with a rolling pin until crushed and crumbs form.
- Add melted butter to the crumbs and pulse to combine.
- Transfer crumbs into a 9" (23 cm) springform pan and press into bottom and up the sides of the pan to form a crust. Bake at 375F (190C) for 8 mins. Allow to cool.
- Place 10 ounces of bittersweet chocolate and 2 tbsp butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second increments until melted. Or melt over a double boiler. Allow to cool slightly. Add egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl and beat on high until soft peaks form. 2-3 mins.
- Fold whipped whites into chocolate mixture, gently lightening the mixture in stages, until combined.
- Then beat 1 cup of heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold the cream into the mousse mixture, and gently mix until combined.
- Transfer mousse into cooled pie crust.
- Garnish with a large dollop of sweetened whipped cream in the center, and chocolate shards or shavings. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but overnight even better!
- To make sweetened whip cream:
- Combine heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whip until soft peak forms.
- For Chocolate shards:
- Place a metal baking sheet in the freezer for 15 mins. Melt chocolate in a microwave at :30 intervals until melted. Whisk until slightly cooled and smooth.
- Pour chocolate over bottom of frozen pan, creating a thin layer. Allow to set until matt and cooled (pop back in freezer if need to help set up) Take a metal bench scrape and scrap chocolate until shards or curls form.
Be sure to allow the cake to set up in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours but overnight is even better. This will help create a nice clean slice.
You could also use milk chocolate but then omit the sugar in the filling recipe since the milk chocolate will be sweet enough
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rosanna Decor Bon Bon Hue Rimmed Pedestal, Large, Blue
KitchenAid KP26M1XBZ 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer - Black Storm
Hiware 9 Inch Non-stick Cheesecake Pan Springform Pan with Removable Bottom/Leakproof Cake Pan Bakeware - Black
Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers, Holiday Christmas Cookies, 9 oz
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 120mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g