If you are looking for a quick and easy soup recipe, this chicken and rice soup is the ticket! It comes together in a snap thanks to a store-bought rotisserie chicken, and frozen microwavable rice from Trader Joe's.
It makes a fantastic "dinner for one" recipe, or a great lunch idea for work or school! So if you need a recipe for leftover rotisserie chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken, this soup is as easy as it gets!
- Store-Bought Rotisserie Chicken you can use white or dark meat, whichever you prefer.
- Chicken Broth unless you have health concerns, don't use the low-sodium broth, it has very little flavor.
- Low-Sodium Soy Sauce in this case I say the opposite! Do use the low sodium soy sauce because the regular soy sauce can be pretty salty for a soup.
- Toasted Sesame Oil will add a wonderful nutty flavor to the soup. Just be sure you buy the toasted variety since regular sesame oil doesn't have much flavor.
- Cremini Mushrooms if you are not a fan, you can leave the mushrooms out, but I think they add a nice earthy flavor to the chicken and rice.
- Baby Spinach baby spinach will wilt faster than regular spinach. And you can buy it in a bag, pre-washed all ready to go!
- Rice Medley look for microwavable rice that is either a medley like the Rice Medley Rice from Trader Joe's. Or an ancient grain blend would be great too. These types of microwavable rice have more flavor and nutrients too!
- Green Onions for a garnish at the end. Cut them on the diagonal for a pretty presentation.
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional) are a nice finish for a little bit of heat.
Watch Video Demo of This Recipe:
Just Heat + Serve!
- It is really this simple!
- Just heat the chicken broth and flavor it with the soy and toasted sesame oil.
- Then add the chicken, rice and veggies and that's it!
- I use just half a bag of microwavable rice for the soup, you can save the other half for my Chicken and Veggie Quesadillas, I serve that with the same rice medley.
- Or you can use leftover take-out rice too.
Serving and Storage Suggestions:
- This soup works well as a dinner, but it's also great as a lunch option too! Either while working from home, or pop it in a thermos and bring it to work.
- You can make a big batch of it and keep it in the regrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Or freeze it in soup Souper Cubes and microwave it when it's time to eat.
- 2 cups (480 ml) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) toasted sesame oil
- ½ bag cooked rice medley
- ½ cup cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 sliced mushroom
- ½ cup baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onions
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Pour the chicken broth into a medium-sized sauce pot. Add the soy sauce and the toasted sesame oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken, the cooked rice, and mushrooms, and heat until hot and warmed through.
- Then add the baby spinach, and cook until wilted.
- Transfer into a soup bowl, and garnish with green onions and red pepper flakes if desired.
Be sure to buy the toasted sesame oil. Regular sesame oil doesn't have much flavor.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 607Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 2164mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 47g