This Apple Spice Cake Recipe with Dehydrated Apples is a wonderful fall dessert recipe that guests go nuts for. It's great for a special occasion like Thanksgiving or Christmas and when it comes to creating a spectacular looking cake, you can't beat a Bundt pan to help you get that WOW factor.
Seriously, folks these pans do all the work for you! If you don't have a bundt pan, but you do have a loaf pan, you can try my Pear Spice Cake. This is an equally delicious spice cake recipe that's a bit quicker and easier if you need something fast!
I'm using a pan from Nordic Ware, I think they make the best Bundt pans, their designs are just terrific! You can find this model known as a"Crown Pan" on Amazon (this link goes to Amazon where I am an affiliate partner)
WATCH MY APPLE SPICE CAKE VIDEO BELOW!There is something so empowering about that very moment when you release the cake from the pan and you see a perfect design emerge! It's like magic! But be sure to grease it well with the baking spray! I find it works much better than butter, and for added insurance distribute the spray well with a pastry brush to get into all those nooks and crannies.
I like to decorate this cake with a cream cheese frosting and some rustic looking dehydrated apples. Which are much easier to make than you might think, and no need for any fancy dehydrator gadgets or machines. You can make these beautiful apples right in your oven!
How to Dehydrated Apples?
The first step for making dehydrated apples in your oven is to slice the apples very thinly. You'll get many slices from one apple. But not all will be created equal.
Take the slices that are the thinnest, these work best for decoration since they will curl up as they dehydrate in the oven. Any apples that are too thick you should save those for snacking. The thick apples won't curl or look as pretty on the cake.
How Long Does it Take To Dehydrate Apples?
Place the apple slices on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and place them in a 200F oven, for 2 hours. I know it does take time, but it really goes fast if you have other things to do around the house! (i.e laundry, bill paying, cleaning, etc)
At the 1 hour mark, flip the apple slices with some tongs. If you have them, use the rubber ended tongs, they will be more gentle with the apples which start to become a bit more fragile at this stage.
Then let the apples go for another hour in the oven and after their 2 hours in the oven, they will become dehydrated and curled.
Place the dehydrated apples on the counter to cool and completely dry out. They will have the most beautiful rustic charm to them. Perfect for cake decorating! I like to make between 6-8 apple slices for decorating on top of the cake.
This allows you to overlap the apples on the cake and assures that each slice of cake gets a decorative, dehydrated apple on the side.
Not only is this cake beautiful, but it's so delicious too! Incredibly moist and flavorful it's the perfect fall cake for Thanksgiving or holiday entertaining.
MORE TREATS FOR FALL
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS APPLE SPICE CAKE
LEAVE A RATING AND A REVIEW BELOW
THIS HELPS OTHERS FIND AND ENJOY THE RECIPE TOO!
- 1 ½ cup (270 g) brown sugar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) molasses
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup (120 ml) apple sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- 2 cups (240 g) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) ground ginger
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) ground cloves
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) nutmeg
- 2 Honeycrisp Apples, sliced horizontally into slices
- ¼ cup (48 g) whipped cream cheese
- 1 tbsp (7 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp (15-30ml) milk, or more to reach a pourable consistency
- Preheat oven to 200F (93C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice apples into very thin wheels, cutting the apple horizontally.
- Place on baking tray in a single layer. Bake for 1 hour, then flip and bake for 1 hour more. Once done, turn off oven, open oven door and allow to cool for 30 mins. Once done keep at room temperature until ready to decorate cake.
- Preheat Oven to 350F (175C).
- Prepare a Bundt pan with baking spray (preferably the spray that also has flour in it) coating with a pastry brush to get into all the nooks and crannies and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, vegetable oil, molasses, 4 eggs, apple sauce, vanilla and water.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk gently to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 35-40 mins until a long skewer comes out clean.
- Once completely cooled, transfer to a cooling rack.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the cream cheese with the powdered sugar and vanilla, whisk until smooth. Add milk and whisk until frosting is pourable, may need to add more milk depending upon which brand of cream cheese you use, some brands are denser than others.
- Ladle glaze over the top of the cake crown, allowing it to drip over the sides. Top with the dehydrated apples, transfer to cake stand. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wusthof Classic 7-piece Slim Knife Block Set (Acacia)
John Boos Block RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 24 Inches x 18 Inches x 2.25 Inches
P&P CHEF Baking Sheet and Rack Set, 6 PACK (3 Sheets + 3 Racks), Stainless Steel Baking Cookie Sheets Pans with Cooling Rack for Baking and Roasting, Oven & Dishwasher Safe
Nordic Ware Crown Bundt Pan
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 62Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 60mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g