It's funny how these Chocolate Candy Cane Cupcakes brings out the kid in all of us! It's one of my favorite holiday dessert recipes to bring to a potluck because people are always charmed by them.
They combine a rich chocolate cake and lightly sweetened cream cheese frosting and of course those crunchy little candy canes on top.
They are festive and fun and just the right amount of candy cane. While I'm probably not going to eat a whole one, I do crave a little nibble of a candy cane this time of year. It just transports me back to when I was a kid and couldn't eat enough of them!
For another delicious candy, cane recipe try my Baked Alaska with Candy Cane Ice Cream. A great dessert for Christmas Dinner or Christmas Eve!
WATCH MY VIDEO DEMO OF THIS RECIPE BELOW!
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel and Never Miss a Recipe!
The thing that you will love most about this recipe is the chocolate cupcake. It's so light and delicate and requires no electric mixer! All you really need is a bowl and a whisk. It's a very easy recipe that is fun to bake with the little ones, with lots of easy parts for them (mixing the batter, crushing the candy canes, sprinkling them on top).
And these cupcakes become extra cute when baked in these darling snowflake baking cups by Simply Baked. I also like to serve them with their little red wooden spoons as well, so guests don't have to rip the beautiful cup but can eat them right in the cup! You can find links to both in the recipe card below.
It makes for a great dessert to serve at an office party or open house where guests may not sit down while eating them.
For the snowy frosting, I love to use the Wilton 2D tip. It's a great tip that creates a beautiful swirl. Just be sure to add the candy cane crumbles right before serving. Otherwise left in the fridge too long they do start to melt and run!
MORE GREAT HOLIDAY RECIPES!
- Apple Spice Cake with Dehydrated Apples
- Chocolate Hazelnut Linzer Cookies
- Buche de Noel (yule log)
- Gingerbread Baked French Toast
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE
BY LEAVING A RATING AND REVIEW BELOW!
- ¼ cup (35 g) bittersweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup (70 g) unsweetened Cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) hot water
- 1 cup (200 g) of sugar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) peppermint extract
- ¾ cup (90 g) of flour
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 16 oz (460 g) whipped cream cheese
- ¾ cup (75 g) powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) milk
- 2 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F (175 C) degrees.
- Place 12 Simply Baked baking cups on a baking sheet.
- In a large heat safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and the cocoa powder. Then pour the hot water over the top and whisk to combine.
- Add the sugar and oil, whisk to combine. Add the eggs and whisk until smooth. Add the peppermint extract. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add this flour mixture, to the chocolate mixture, in thirds, stirring gently with a wire whisk in a figure 8 pattern, just until combined.
- Fill the cupcake wells ¾ of the way full, about 1 good ice cream scoop per cup. Bake 25-30 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting combine cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl and with an electric mixer beat until combined. Add milk and vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer frosting to a pastry bag fitted with your favorite tip (I love the Wilton 2D tip) top with a few crushed candy canes. Serve with the Simply Baked spoons.
The cupcakes and frosting can be made ahead of time.
Keep the frosting in a piping bag in the refrigerator and pipe before serving. Or pipe the cupcakes, keep them uncovered in the refrigerator for a day, and then remove them from the refrigerator 1-hour before serving. The frosting texture is better when it is at room temperature.
WARNING: Do not add the candy canes in advance and refrigerate. They will start to melt and run into your frosting! Which could be a look? But if you want them to look like mine, then be sure to add the candy canes right before serving (You can have them pre-crushed and store in a Ziploc bag at room temperature)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KROSNO 764-1 Pedestal Glass Cake Plate, 30 cm (11.8 in.), Clear
KitchenAid KP26M1XBZ 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer - Black Storm
3 Natural Mint Candy Canes, NO Corn Syrup, Hammonds Handmade, 2 Oz, Red/Gold/White Stripe
Simply Baked Disposable Yet Sturdy Wood Spoon, 3.5-Inch/Small, Scarlet Dot, 12-Pack, Great for Serving Solid Foods at Parties or Picnics
Simply Baked Set of 20 Large Holiday Baking Cups, Silver Snowflake
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 135mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g